What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

New 4-LP set collecting various tracks from Frank’s Capitol albums. The fourth disc contains previously unreleased material:

9 Likes

So, I bid on and won that Wagner full Ring Cycle auction on eBay a couple of weeks ago, when it was brought to my attention by a fellow forum member (@steviebee I think).
Well it tuned up today and it’s HUGE :face_with_peeking_eye:

7 Likes

Glad my post was of assistance, QS.

It looks spectacular.

Is that 78rpm ?

HMRC have got to get their money from somewhere.

God forbid they should hassle Bezos or Cook for what they really owe.

2 Likes

It certainly goes by faster if you play at 78!

2 Likes

The DG Original Source series releases are a godsend to series lovers of Classical music on vinyl. And the Solti ‘Ring’ cycle in the new Decca releases are wonderful (I hope! - I’m saving playing my LPs as a Christmas treat to myself).

Polygram labels are leading the way here (although Philips are very quiet). I wish that labels such as EMI would take note, and release some of their classic records - Klemperer’s Beethoven and Mahler, and just about everything from Barbirolli and Boult.

I can’t see the images that you’ve posted, QS (I don’t know why). Which of the (many) Decca releases of Solti’s ‘Ring’ is that?

Latest release from Dreamlord Recordings
First came across Dreamlord Recordings through ltd pressing (200 copies) 2 lp compilation from Fruits de Mer Records
They produce records under various aliases-Korb, Arboria, Mutante, Hologram People and Studio Kosmiche.
Found out they are local to me- record in a studio in a house in Worcester and my local shop-the wonderful Carnival Records of Malvern, stock them as the shop manager designs some of the sleeves.
This release is just 2 tracks , very reminiscint of early Krautrock, can hear Can influences along with others. A very good listen and really well produced

Stephen

2 Likes

They are pretty special releases. I’m currently convalescing after a blood infection and ordered to the sofa all day, so I managed to play all 4 of these LP’s today/yesterday.
The 2 Orchestral albums are a very visceral experience and deeply involving. TBH, I wasn’t 100% sure I was doing the right thing buying the Symphonie Fantastique. I didn’t know the Ozawa version and I’d never fully fallen in love with work itself. Now I have! These records have both power and delicacy and give a very different experience to most records.
The Trout Quintet is also incredibly involving. The ContraBass can be felt as well as heard! Delicious.
The one disappointment is the Gilels Sonatas where my copy has a load of micro scratches on the surface and quite bad vinyl roar/whoosh on side 1 which is also not concentric to the centre hole. I’ve no idea what happened there, but I’ve alerted DG and will be expecting either a replacement or a refund.

Overall however, I’ve been so impressed that I’ve just gone and ordered the Kubelik Ma Vlast and the Geza Anda Mozart Piano Concerto’s.
NOT from Germany this time!

Edit: DG are sending me a new copy of the Gilels Sonatas FOC. Hopefully, HMRC won’t slap me again :crossed_fingers:

Nils Petter Molvaer ‘Stitches’ - streamed this a lot a while back plus seeing the band with this material at Ronnie Scott’s the other week. Also good to use an independent shop recommended by another forumite - Harbour Records Emsworth via Discogs. Good Service & Near Mint as described.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Have you given it a spin yet Kev?

Nope, will do it after me dinner…

1 Like

The Serpent’s Egg - Dead Can Dance

6 Likes

Brefære by SPURV

Nordic experimental rock

1 Like

That’s interesting. Whenever I hear them on Radio Paradise world mix I like them but don’t know much about them. Do they have a standout album? Cheers. Robert

Am not that knowledgeable on them so maybe others can suggest…

That said, The Serpent’s Egg is my favourite but mainly for ‘The Host of Seraphim’ track… Wake is a reasonable compilation and intro without too much fill. Definitely a band you need to be in the mood for though as it can be a-bit ‘samey’.

1 Like

Thanks Deeg, will investigate

Change - Paradise, The Ultimate Collection, Demon Records (2019)

Greatest hits double lp from Change the band that broke the late, great Luther Vandross as a lead singer after Bowie had given him his initial break as a backing singer.

1 Like