What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Hope you don’t mind me butting in? A Passage in Time is a nigh on perfect compilation of their early albums and Spiritchaser is a terrific, beautifully recorded, later (still old mindst) album. Demo quality imo.

2 Likes

Yes, those Customs surcharges can take away a lot of the enjoyment of getting your hands on an exciting release. I no longer order more than one LP, or LP set, at any given time. So I’m paying more in postage charges, but not being clobbered by HMRC.

Anyway, I’m off to listen to an LP that turned up yesterday, Johnny Cash’s first prison record, ‘Folsom Prison’, which tends to be overlooked by comparison to his later ‘San Quentin’ record.

Thank you

1 Like

25th anniversary edition of Duster’s “Stratosphere”.
A hugely under appreciated album on its
1998 release, this record went on to be a big influence on the lofi and slowcore scenes and is now held up as something of a classic.
In places it even presages the style of bands such as Mogwai.
If you like Pavement, Low, Codeine etc you’re going to love this.

3 Likes

Nick Walters - Marine Moods, DOT Records (2023)

Another excellent recording from Nick featuring Ruby Rushton band mate and 22a owner Tenderlonious.

Excellent mastering by Matt Mysko and beautiful cover art by Lorna Robertson.

3 Likes

Dexter Gordon - Swiss Nights Vol 2, Steeplechase (1980)

Beautiful recording beautiful mastering and pressing.

2 Likes

Blue Note Tone Poet Series :sunglasses: :grinning:

8 Likes

3 Likes

Anoushka Shankar - Chapter 1 - Forever, For Now, Leiter Verlag, (2023)

Chapter 1 of three I believe and more a 12” ep than an album with 4 tracks running about 20 minutes but @ £16 worth every penny.

Excellently mastered by Heba Kadry and cut by Jana Falcon at Schnittstelle.

Side a features tracks with Nils Frahm and Arooj Aftab and is completely beautiful as is side 2 if you like east/west fusion then buy this.

4 Likes

Arrived today. Wildwood, possibly Weller’s best solo album in my opinion.

8 Likes

Is this the green vinyl? How does it sound?

I agree WW is Weller’s best but it’s close between it and his first self titled record both though are better than the more successful Stanley Rd.

1 Like

Hey Bob
Yes green. Just spinning now and it’s better than my previous copy which is 2017 reissue, which is a bit of a dud.

Agree his eponymous album is also a cracker and as you say better than SR.

I saw him live when touring both eponymous and WW. He wasn’t the solo mega star he became and the venues were tiny, crowds of couple of hundred at best. He was fabulous!!

6 Likes

Yes we saw him at the Zap Club in Brighton with maybe 500 people and it was one of my favourite gigs ever.

The Live Wood VHS/DVD is up there with my best live recordings he was absolutely at his best.

1 Like

I have found that his albums are never well recoded/mastered. Never hugely dynamic or have great depth to them.

As recommended by @twofifty … Spiritchaser - Dead Can Dance.

6 Likes

Ray Baretto (or is it Richard Osman?) says hello!

7 Likes

I agree except for 22 Dreams and then most of the Parlophone releases are better especially True Meanings after his return to Polydor On Sunset was also much better but I believe there where some pressing issues with his last record Fat Pop Vol 1 although mine which I listened to last week is fine.

It is a great shame though that Wild Wood can’t be remastered properly because it is classic I have a first press and the 2nd pressing of the 2017 reissue from 2021 and both are pretty average sonically though of course the first press is better.

1 Like

Yamamoto Tsuyoshi Trio - A Shade of Blue, Evosound (2023)

5 Likes

Togo All Stars - Spirits, Excelsior (2023)