What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Leo Takami - Next Door, Unsee Worlds (2023)

I’d never heard this Japanese guitarist/pianist before tonight but he has really impressed me a fusion Japanese traditional sounds blended with modern Jazz. Tidal has records of his dating back to 2008 which I’ll enjoy sifting through.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Gets rid of the silence?

1 Like

Aren’t you supposed to put them in the dishwasher? :thinking:

1 Like

Almost silent I believe I said cleaning makes it silent but don’t let that get in the way of a good trolling.

1 Like

Ivor Biggun?

1 Like

Just received…

3 Likes

Two LPs were delivered today - Johnny Cash at San Quentin, and My Bloody’s ‘Loveless’.

1 Like

Arrived today. Nick Drakes 1972 Pink Moon album. Excellent German pressing.

10 Likes

Thats not wotyer roat :wink:

An absolutely appaling pressing, I have four 1st press copies bought from different sources, all of which suffer from some of the worse non fill I’ve ever had the displeasure of hearing.

I only ever bought the CD’s from PW through Heliocentric.
The problem with vinyl during the nineties was that many labels werent really interested in producing properly mastered and pressed LP’s. Often just using the same CD mastering to cut an LP and trying to squeeze CD length playing times on to a single LP, for example I think Wild Wood has a playing time approaching 30 mins per side, thats a sure recipe for sonic disaster.

1 Like

Betty Davis - They Say I’m Different. A reissue of this 1974 record on the Light In The Attic label, this is tremendous hard funk music with a blues edge on some tracks and it sounds excellent. I already have it on CD, but I couldn’t resist getting it on vinyl. Contains a poster and a booklet - it’s quite a nice package. Betty was certainly ahead of her time.

6 Likes

Also bought this Betty Davis reissue at the same time as the one above. This is her first record from 1973 and is just as good as the one mentioned above. Contains contributions from members of Sly And The Family Stone and the Pointer Sisters.

5 Likes

Pure gold from Nick Drake.

3 Likes

Michael Smith - Mi Cyann Believe It (UMG/Island re issue 2023)

I saw that UMG are re issuing ten albums for Black History Month including this absolute Jamaican Dub Poetry classic. So yesterday I dug out my original 1982 press of the album, see the link for the info and more about Michael Smith that I posted yesterday…

Anyway the re issue piqued my interest as these titles are cut and mastered at Abbey Rd and this one has been extended with four of the instrumental cuts produced by Dennis Bovell with The Dub Band, members of Aswad and others.
Perhaps predictably its not as good sounding as my original and the instrumental cuts I note are tagged on to the end of each side and sound like there cut at slightly less volume to the rest of the album which make them sound a little anti climactic.
On its own merit the sound is probably OK and the pressing is good, so probably still worth checking in the abscence of a good clean original, especially if Dub Poetry like Linton Kwesi Johnson, Mutabaruka etc is up your street.

:heart:

3 Likes

Though perhaps not immediately evident, it’s the 50th Anniversary Edition & it’s going on next😊

8 Likes

What/who is it?

1 Like

Visit to Uptown today. Purchases left in garage to lose their pre-owned aroma…

5 Likes