What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Is it any different from the standard’ LP?

It’s been remastered by James Guthrie, who is a Floyd recording engineer alumnus.
He didn’t do the Original as he only started working with them in 1978.
It is very clean and sharp. Dare I say my original 1973 copy never sounded this good🤷🏻‍♂️

2 Likes

I think that James Guthrie gets a credit on ‘The Wall’, but I am too lazy to go up four storeys of my house to check the sleeve!

Yep, he did that one and all the others including Final Cut, Momentary Lapse of Reason & Division Bell apparently.

James Guthrie is one of the best engineers working today. He has mostly worked with Pink Floyd (including some post-Waters stuff), Roger Waters, and - sometimes - Gilmour. He is the only person the group trust with their music. He was engineer/co-producer on The Wall and The Final Cut, and was FOH engineer at the Wall concerts in 1980-81.

In addition, he created the superb SACD and multi-channel mixes for DSOTM, Animals and WYWH.

He also remastered Kate Bush’s catalogue in 2018 and has worked with artists such as Heatwave, Toto, Queensrÿche, Carpenters, Judas Priest, Boomtown Rats, and even, early in his career, Paul Nicholas and Alvin Stardust!

7 Likes

Ah yes, those classic Alvin Stardust albums. All of them.

1 Like

A bit of spending today in Newark….

2 x DSOTM and a bit of Tool (Lateralus)

6 Likes

Snoop Dog - Doggystyle, Death Row Records (2023)

Can’t believe this is 30 years old and I was 23 when it came out.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder how much more milk can be extracted from a cow :wink:

I must admit Dread, I am not in the least curious to play Waters’ DSotM Redux.
I have got to the stage that he just wants to change things to be able to say, “ My version without them is better!”
It’s a shame, as when he is working on new material and leaving the Floyd carnage alone, he is much more interesting. (IMHO)

1 Like

I lost interest in the PF behemoth years ago up to and including The Wall, I hardly ever play them these days.

So that makes you…what…64?

Wayne Shorter - Adams Apple (Blue Note Classic Series)

I tend to avoid the BNC series due to the inconsistent pressing quality. A couple of recent exceptions being the superb Star Bright from Dizzy Reece and now this.
Filling a couple of holes in my Shorter Blue Note vinyl selection with this and the forthcoming Night Dreamer.
Pleased to say the pressing on this one is superb as of course is the music.
From a nice friendly no fomo back order with Diverse vinyl for a very reasonable £22.

Incidentally, I really enjoyed watching the Zero Gravity three part doc with Wayne Shorter recently, a must see if not already.

:heart:

5 Likes

download (2)
download (1)
download

After two attempts I’ve given up on the James album and will stick to the CD I already own.
Supposedly a 2023 National Album Day release the cover (on both) showed a 2015 release date, which I thought odd. On top of that both copies were really noisy: the first with pops and clicks, the replacement with whooshing. The sound was also muddy.
I’m wondering if they’ve just re-released the 2015 Back To Black remaster. I hate Back To Black stuff …

I finally tracked down a copy of the Impex edition of Jennifer Warnes’ Famous Blue Raincoat. £80 with shipping. Ouch, but my fault for not grabbing one upon release…
At least it’s not the new 45rpm triple album at £215 a pop.

5 Likes

Super pressing. Love mine. Enjoy.

1 Like

Jackie McLean - Demon’s Dance, BN/Tone Poet (2023)

Featuring the exceptionally talented Woody Shaw and a young Jack DeJohnette as always beautifully presented and pressed by the Tone Poet crew.

6 Likes

Chet Baker Quintet featuring Warne Marsh - Blues For a Reason,
Criss Cross Jazz/Elemental Music (2023)

The 2nd of three Chet Baker, Criss Cross Jazz reissues on Elemental Music all three have extra tracks not included on the original releases.

Both the originals and reissues are excellently recorded, mastered and pressed and again I’d be happy to own either but the extra track take two of Looking Good Tonight makes the reissue preferable.

4 Likes

Ten Years After - ‘Live At The Fillmore East 1970’ - arrived today, a 3LP set.

1 Like

Dexter Gordon Quintet - Bouncin’ With Dex, SteepleChase SCS-1060 (1976)

Featuring Tete Montoliu on piano, Niels-Henning Orsted Pederson on bass and Billy Higgins on drums.

Recorded on 14th September 1975 by Freddy Hanson.

3 Likes