What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Did Geddy Lee go solo?

2 Likes

Miles Davis - Volume 1, BN/Classic Series (2023)

An exceptional line up Jay Jay Johnson, Jackie McLean, Art Blakey & Kenny Clarke. Not the very best of KG’s BN Classic Series but well worth the price.

For me Dear Old Stockholm and How Deep Is the Ocean shine brightest but each track beautifully rendered.

4 Likes

He’s only ever done one solo album.
My Favourite Headache (Nov 2000). It wasn’t massively popular, got to number 52 on the Billboard 200, but I really liked it.
IMG_0047

Alex also only did one, Victor (Jan 1996). Also not really popular, got to 99 on the Billboard 200. Again I quite enjoyed it.
IMG_0046

Alex also has done something since Rush called it a day. Album and Band called Envy of None. A big shift from anything he’s been involved in before, but quite excellent.

2 Likes

Hank Mobley - No Room for Squares, BN/Classic Series (2023)

Another stellar line up featuring one of the best Jazz trumpet players of all time Lee Morgan his composition Carolyn is one unknown to me before tonight but what a tune. It has a bit of Blue Train about it which is one of my my all time favourites.

4 Likes

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic, BN/ Classic Series (2023)

Unfortunately another Optimal non fill disaster I put on my favourite track from this record Arabia and those horrible screechy ripping noises appear.

What a shame I’ll return it for a refund in my experience asking for another copy just produced more disappointment best wait for another pressing.

1 Like

dunno yet, only just got home. Will let you know once I havbe had a chance to hear it.

Another Craft work…

Contains the original – and best, Santana fans – version of the ultimate Latin banger, “Oye Cómo Va”.

1 Like

Thats that Joke backfired then! :joy: :heart:

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:
Serves you right for testing me…:wink:

1 Like

These four. Only heard Portishead before

First listen of Wardruna - Kvitravn now. I like this.

Roger Whittaker Sings The Hits. From a charity warehouse today following recommendations on here!

4 Likes

Original Uk pressing?

Oh no… :frowning:

When I see reports like this I think - why bother with this series? Just (a) stick with a BN CD or (b) go for an earlier original or reissue.

3 Likes

I’ll wait see if anyone else reports the same. I made a point of avoiding BNC’s due to the problems with pressings, but there have been a couple of titles recently that I was keen to get, Dizzy Reece, Wayne Shorter which were fine and made me think that the non fill issue thats plagued this series had been addressed.

I just sat down to listen to this new arrival - Gerry Rafferty’s City to City on orange double vinyl. Did I need it? No, I must have at least a couple of originals, however, spreading it out across two slabs was promising and it’s a favourite, so what the heck…

Only problem is the sound. Weird… oh no… looks like no HF on channel 1. Eek! Time for a tweeter replacement on my SL2s… :frowning:

4 Likes

Ouch!

Slightly off topic, but I live near Wokingham in the UK and popped in earlier today and thought I would visit the excellent vinyl store “Beyond The Download”, surprised and disappointed to see that they have closed as a physical store and are now online only :frowning:

Also not far away and always meant to pop into “BDL”, too late now!

I’m not sure how many Blue Note 80/Classic Series I have bought now but it must be over 50 and the number of them that have been bad pressings you could count on one hand all of which I’ve been refunded for in full. The remaining ones are excellent quality and I’m pleased to own them they are far, far superior to any other Blue Note vinyl available for the same price especially an original which would cost 10 x the price.

So no need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist and start writing off the whole series because they are an excellent way for a new collector or a new fan of Jazz to start a Blue Note collection.

3 Likes