What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

A colleague who looks for stuff in house clearances brought this box round last week with a number of boxed sets as well. He said keep what you want and find a good home or give back the ones you don’t want. Over 100 I think.

There is a sizable chunk of church organ music which I won’t keep but a lot of really good stuff. The amazing thing is that is nearly all mint and looks like it has never been played.
Lots of fun ahead.

14 Likes

And, by separate delivery, ‘The Endless Coloured Ways’ - 23 Nick Drake songs, by a variety of artists on a 2LP set (or ‘pressed on two heavyweight audiophile slabs of black vinyl’, according to the blurb accompanying the records).

1 Like

The very first LP in that substantial box is an absolute classic - Beethoven’s Third Symphony (‘Eroica’) in Herbert von Karajan’s 1963 Berliner Philharmoniker recording, made for DGG a couple of years after HvK took over that great orchestra following Furtwængler’s death.

If the rest of the LPs in the box are even half as good as that, you have struck gold - particularly if they’ve never been played. Some record collectors would pay a fortune to get their hands on an unplayed copy of that Beethoven LP alone!

5 Likes

Yes, my wife and I are really chuffed. Here is a few more I just grabbed out the box.

8 Likes

You’ve struck gold. That Karl Bœhm Schubert ‘Great C Major’ Ninth is a classic. Towards the end of his life, Bœhm went back to Dresden to re-record that symphony with the Staatskapelle, one of his last ever recordings.

And I think that the Beethoven Ninth LP at the top of your pile is Solti’s famously-well recorded Chicago performance.

2 Likes

It looks like you have a collectors box there. Nice find ( and friend).

3 Likes

Yes you are right. I took it over to my local record shop and they agree, they said it is not ‘new’ and it has been handled as well.

When it arrived it wasn’t in shrink wrap, like a new one should be and you can see where sellotape was used over the opening of the cover. Hence the damage as some ham fisted baffoon ripped it off.

1 Like

IMG_0711

20th Anniversary Edition of The Cinematic Orchestra - Man With A Movie Camera on white and grey vinyl… :grinning: :+1:t3:

5 Likes

My advice.
The goods are “not as described”, under consumer law the vendor is in breach of contract, you have a legal right to reject the goods and demand a full refund including any postage paid.
The vendor can not insist that you pay the cost of returning the goods.
So without delay contact the seller and complain that the goods are “not as described” and demand a full refund inc postage.
Dont accept being fobbed off or being told to pay return carriage, demand a postage returns label.
Its my bet that the vendor will try and put you off by saying you have to pay for the return, its a common ploy.
Report the seller to Amazon customer services explaining why “goods are not as described” and that they are contravening your consumer rights, also its unreasonable to expect you to return the goods as you purchased from Germany.
(Marketplace sellers on Amazon must provide at least the same level of consumer protection/ guarantee that Amazon provide, which are statatury rights in any case.)
Its highly likely that Amazon will refund you directly and in full and wont ask you to return the item.

Off course if the seller does play ball, then great, you can still decide to negotiate a partial refund acceptable to you if you like, but demanding a full refund should ime be your starting point.

If all fails, which I very much doubt, you can raise a dispute through your credit card provider, I use Amex who are great in this regard.

Have a look at the section here on returning faulty goods.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ref_=help_search_1-2&nodeId=GSZAYH7K2C2NVNC9&qid=1695234445645&sr=1-2

Hope you get a satisfactory outcome, I’m sure you will

:heart:

3 Likes

Thanks for that Dread, very much appreciated. I’m pretty confident that Amazon will refund and really I don’t believe that I will be required to return it in that condition. They don’t have any more in stock so in the end I will accept a refund and make do with it. I might have to be creative and cover the tear though!

Thanks again for all your help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Needed a little distraction in an otherwise dull and wet Saturday, so went shopping and came back with these.

Including a QRP pressing Cafe Blue…for £32!

Was £40, but he knocked 20% off🙂

9 Likes

That Café Blue was worth the trip alone. She has never released a bad album.
Enjoy them!:sunglasses:

I think I have an original copy of that Brubeck LP somewhere. I’ve never played it - it came with a bunch of LPs I bought in a record case. Must find it…

2 Likes

Karl Boehm’s Unfinished on DG is not just my favourite Schubert Symphony but possibly also one of my favourite classical LPs of all.

1 Like

That whole Schubert cycle which Bœhm recorded in Berlin, with what was then Karajan’s orchestra, is great.

But Carlos Kleiber’s rather later Vienna PO recording of the ‘Unfinished’, also on DG, is one of the greatest classical recordings ever made.

1 Like

daughter-500x500
Daughter Stereo Mind Game

3 Likes

I just recently discovered Daughter, “If you Leave”. Can’t believe how good their music is.

1 Like

Just bought these at The Church concert at Space (Evanston IL) during their final shows on the US tour. What great guitar music! Go see them if you have a chance.

4 Likes

The Kleiber is great too, but it’s Boehm’s that captivated me early on and became something of an obsession for me.

1 Like

I’m always amused to think how much H v Karajan hated anyone else conducting ‘his’ Berlin Philharmonic. I assume that DG forced the issue to permit Bœhm to conduct the Schubert set, when Bœhm could presumably have recorded the set in Vienna.

And I have written here before about the German Chancellor clearing the way for Leonard Bernstein to make his ‘live’ recording of Mahler’s Ninth in Berlin, when Bernstein encouraged the string players to swoop and slide between the notes. Karajan is reputed to have complained that Bernstein had undone twenty years of his (Karajan’s) work in persuading to play the notes smoothly.

2 Likes