What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Can anybody recommend a good/the best record store in Liverpool please.
I think I’m accompanying Mrs QS when she goes up for a conference in a couple of weeks and thought it would be a great city (the home of British Pop) to do some purchasing of Black Disc’s😉

1 Like

These two rolled in this week. Now and then, the very best of Richard Hawley and a playing right in your room. Gillian Welch The Harrow & The Harvest.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Probe Records is a Liverpool institution - opened in 1971.

Various Liverpudlian musicians worked there in the past such as Pete Wylie, Julian Cope, Pete Burns and Paul Rutherford (Frankie). Current premises are in the heart of the city centre.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Hi @elverdiblanco how are SQ and pressing?

Good Morning @Dreadatthecontrols Do you know how good or not a 2015 Back to Black pressing from this album is? Referring to discogs it must be a dutch pressing. Should be the same pressing plant as the MOV Vinyl is coming from. What do you think?

3 Likes

Maybe I just got lucky but my copy is a very clean pressing with no pops and clicks and sounds excellent

1 Like

A fine morning to you too…
Sorry, no I’m not familiar with the Back To Black, generally speaking BtB pressings are usually OK but the sourcing is very hit and miss.
I would have thought you could pick up a decent original press for relatively inexpensive money.

Edit: I looked at Discogs and according to the listing its pressed at Record Industry (yes, same as MOV), they are a consistently excellent pressing plant ime. So that bodes well, it just depends on the source used.
I see its taken from the box set of The Complete Island Recordings, but I cant recall how well that was received.
Edit 2: I just recalled I have the CD edition of the Complete Island Recordings and it sounds good. So assuming the same source for the BtB vinyl, it should be ok, it almost certainly wont be a sonic disaster if arguably not as good as an original Island pressing.

If you do buy it, let me know your thoughts

Final thought, if you dont mind CD, the Complete Island Recordings box is a great introduction. Mini repro’s of the original album sleeves, no bonus tracks just the albums as originally released. Should still be able to pick that up probably for less than the price of the BtB Natty Dread alone, and likely from the same sources.

Enjoy
:heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for responding @Dreadatthecontrols :+1:

The recommendation of the CD set makes great sense, I will watch out for it. Just recognized this morning that the above mentioned Vinyl is for sale for a twennie at my record dealer. As I told you before my Reggae collection is very poor and it needs some substance :wink:

1 Like

Not sure what a twennie is.

My suggestion would be to go
for the CD box and take it from from there, plenty of copies described as mint available on Discogs anywhere between £20-£30 or Euro equivalent. Dont pay more!

Heres mine. Excellent value for money

Sorry pics a bit fuzzy

1 Like

I’ve received two Emerson Lake & Palmer LPs in the last few days - ‘Tarkus’ a few days ago, and ‘Pictures’ this morning. They will test the Electrostatics!

4 Likes

Pictures is a tremendous album.
You’ll really enjoy playing that one I’m sure :blush:
Edit Might give it a spin myself later…:thinking:

1 Like

You’re quite right about that, although I have a few LPs of the Mussorgsky/Ravel original. (There’s a great version by Karajan on DG from about 1963.)

So I’ll probably play ‘Tarkus’ first.

I could get a new one over here for 30 EUR, shipping included, sounds ok for me. it makes more sense for me to buy this CD set

1 Like

Go for it, I think you will find much more to enjoy

1 Like

Another one to look out for is the vinyl box set released around '82. The pressings were done in Germany IIRC and the sound is usually excellent - some even reckon it’s the best way to hear the albums on vinyl. Sets have risen in price in recent years but can sometimes be found for surprisingly little, and condition of the vinyl is usually much better than with the individual releases.

You also get a nice book and a certificate too.

3 Likes

@krautnaimie

£500 on ebay, and for a song on Discogs

I know of it but not heard this set, I think there is still a bit of caveat emptor. Mastered in uk but I believe pressed in various countries where it was available, so pressings may vary. A UK press probably the better. Would have been even better imo had the package reproduced the original individual LP artwork, or is it included in the book?
I see Adrian Boot credited on the book, so I’m guessing some good photo’s in there

1 Like

Just arrived from those nice people at Juno Records. As Nicky Horne once intimated, your mother wouldn’t like it - Ozzy’s language is not of drawing room quality but it’s Sabbath in full flight.

2 Likes

Thanks @Dreadatthecontrols this is an additional argument for the CD set :wink: I think I will go for it for my next order there in some weeks. I will keep you updated

1 Like