What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Got to keep this collection complete, Nanci Sinatra, Keep Walkin’.
Wished every company took the time to make great packaging/releases as this!

4 Likes

Early Christmas present, 11LP set of Miles Davis “Electric Years” from Vinyl Me Please. Heard good things so fingers crossed.

5 Likes

I don’t recognise all of those, but ‘In A Silent Way’ is my absolute favourite of Miles Davis’s records.

It’s a very clear recording, so much so that you can hear the hum of the valve amps that were being used in the studio.

2 Likes

What Box Set is this and where was it pressed?

I can’t see the image - is it a webp file?

It’s best not to use these as they aren’t universally compatible - particularly with Apple Safari.

1 Like

Vinyl Me Please Edition

All AAA and cut by Ryan Smith @ Sterling Sound.

1 Like

I downloaded straight from the VMP web site on my IPad, so Not sure but I have a closer look and see if I can change it.

The Schneiderhan Beethoven Concerto is a wondrous thing too. It’s a crowded field, but forced to choose a single desert island Beethoven Violin Concerto, this would be my choice. All the record sleeves look pristine. You’ve struck some gold there.

2 Likes

Oh, but they are still pressed at GZ?

Thank you for that. I have been playing a number of records from the box in the last couple of days. A lot of them really do not look as if they have been played, the inner sleeves look straight out of the paper mill. I feel a bit guilty playing them. I need to find a home for the ones I do not want to keep which is about a third of the box.

I don’t see the Wolfgang Schneiderhan recording to which you refer, but he was a gifted violinist - leader once of either the Berlin or Vienna Philharmonic before becoming a soloist.

Yes, they do sometimes get it right. I checked Hoffman and Discogs site and it does look like it’s a good pressing. In any case I believe VMP are also good on replacing any faulty discs.

It’s limited to 2000 for this pressing so expect these to sell out before too long.

2 Likes

Unfortunately GZ is a bigger lottery than Optimal and is my main reason for not buying VMP. Outside the US it is not attractive to buy there because of additional taxes and customs. that makes these records too expensive reagrding the pressing problems

I hope your pressings are ok

In my experience GZ’s European pressing quality has improved markedly in recent years, and has eclipsed that of Optimal who haven’t quite seemed to manage to lick their non-fill issues yet.

4 Likes

my experiences with Optimal this year were better: all Blue Note Classics this year were great, Talking Heads fantastic, Angelo Kelly excellent, DG Original Source good all items for In+Out records very good and Bowie - Divine Symmetry good

The only GZ product that was acceptable and i didn`t send back this year is Cure-Show. A total catastrophe is the new Taylor Swift album or any Lana Del Ray album

1 Like

I remember well the look Pete Burns would give you if you bought something he deemed unworthy.
Penny Lane (Chester) was always my favourite record shop and less of a trek.

2 Likes

I wouldnt neccesarily let that put you off. GZ used to have a bad rep but I have many GZ’s that have been fine, I think the reputation attached to them isnt wholly deserved.
As Ive often expressed it isnt always fair to lay blame wholly on a pressing plant, they often operate to a customer (record label) specification.

2 Likes

it’s something like a lottery, I also have good ones from them but these pressings are older, IMO Optimal is a bit better this year (compared with 2020-22) and GZ actually is not that good

could be so @Dreadatthecontrols we don’t exactly know

1 Like

I belive that a large factor is the standard specified by the label/customer. If a label wants a cheaply produced record banged out in double quick time in large quantities vs a discerning label who specify a more costly quality pressing with a shorter run and take some involvenent in QC by paying to have the record properly mastered and ordering test pressings etc to check the quality before production etc, I think most plants will happily oblige and take the business.

1 Like