What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Excellent news! Never really a fan of the Nick Davis remixes.

I might be tempted now if it’s not too late, despite my earlier quibbles about it being 2 12-inch singles.

Deleted, please remove.

1 Like

Dizzy Reece - Blues In Trinity
Blue Note 2005 Scorpio/Rhino Edition USA

Found another beautiful record from the fabulous Dizzy Reece. Thanks again @Dreadatthecontrols for the inspiration. You can compare this edition with the BN Classic Series. I am lucky to get this one in an NM condition. Fantastic lineup with the 2 trumpet heroes dueling with the extraordinary Tubby Hayes on tenor sax :saxophone: Makes my day

2 Likes

Brilliant! So glad you got that, hope its a good pressing etc I’m not familiar with that Scorpio/Rhino, I think mine is from the Connoisseur Series.
Do let me have your thoughts
Enjoy
:heart:

1 Like

Looks worth the price of admission for the Robert Crumb style illustration.
Is it Robert Crumb?

I’m told it might not be until after xmas, I retire away to to my Welsh cave and grow a beard for the season anyway, so no big deal. I took a chance as others have reported the pressing to be good, if not I have a good relationship with Juno and I’m sure they’ll accept a belated return from me if need be

1 Like

Hi again, the pressing is very good, vinyl is still in real good condition, I would say NM. It has a well defined soundstage, not as clear and open as a real good Classic Series or Tone Poet. But this band is so great, the Horn players are so talented and are in such a harmony together.

This edition is very rare, on discogs there are only another 4 to find. I am totally happy with it though it is not rather „audiophile“, but it is excellent music. This is it.

It is hard to get records of Dizzy, so I took the opportunity

1 Like

It wasnt an RVG recording. Recorded at Decca studio’s in London (just after Dizzy had been playing in Paris iirc) note the appearance of Tubby Hayes
:heart:

1 Like

Yes, Broadhurst Gardens West Hampstead subbing for Van Gelders !

1 Like

How does it sound? I’m sorry to say that Rhino/Scorpio have a poor reputation for SQ. I had Dr John Gris Gris on Scorpio and then I got the Speakers Corner or Pure Pleasure pressing and the improvement was dramatic.

1 Like

Following my earlier post on Rhino/Scorpio, I found this very informative article. It’s journalism so I don’t think posting the link breaks forum rules.

1 Like

Arrived today.

11 Likes

Interesting article I have one Scorpio release Donald Byrd’s Cat Walk which is playable and enjoyable it’s difficult to find a decent properly done reissue and until one appears as the article states these Scorpio reissues aren’t a bad substitute.

I just texted her, here is the response :laughing:

!!! OMG NO. We wish! No, our guitarist Glen is a very experienced cartoonist/graphic artist, and he did the heavy-black line drawing cover for HB. And many many of our tour posters, too. Wow, he will be SO pleased to be compared to Robert Crumb!

2 Likes

Such an iconic record and even though it’s really overpriced it’s still relatively ok compared to the prices being asked for other previous ‘audiophile’ reissues.

1 Like

A plug

As I said it is not audiophile but ok, the music is just fantastic and sometimes this is the main thing for me and not the hunt for the most impressive sound. It is very hard to get a record for a reasonable price of Dizzy Reece and this one is ok. Of course the original copy will be better but would cost hundreds of € :wink:

2 Likes

The Toshiba pressing of that one is good - and should be affordable.

1 Like

I can’t remember how much this cost exactly, but I’m think £36 which as you say isn’t that costly compared to some offerings on the market today.

I got my fingers badly burned buying a bunch of LPs with this little gold “180 gram” hype sticker on the front. Sound-wise they were just flat and dull - very disappointing. To make matters worse the Rainbo pressing quality was pretty rubbish too. I learned my lesson and if I see an LP with this 180 gram sticker, I leave well alone!

3 Likes