What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I have a Bud Powell record from Toshiba, it sounds nice :+1:

1 Like

Just received this today but in plain black not orange
It’s a huge upgrade on my old version off it , much more open not as compressed, thanks for the heads up on it Richard .

IMG_2060

Can highly recommend this album, in my mind it’s immaculately produced. It reminds me off another group but can’t quite put my finger on it yet.
Originally heard them on the radio going home late one night and thought wow they are good live.

Charles Mingus - Pre Bird. Essentially a collection of early Mingus compositions, here reissued by Acoustic Sounds. Typically fine Mercury recording sounding absolutely stunning here. The usual lovely, glossy tip-on gatefold and immaculate pressing make this an overall gorgeous record.

6 Likes

Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy. Another excellent Tone poet release. I gave no other issue of this to compare against but… Absolutely no complaints here - fab!

7 Likes

Prices are coming down if one can resist the FOMO hype

1 Like

I havent encountered any Scorpio’s but your happy with it and thats all that matters.

An original may be expensive but the Connoisseur Series issue that I have is pretty good and could be found inexpensively if you wanted to experiment.

1 Like

Hi @Dreadatthecontrols I found it for a nice price at my local record store and just bought it. I am happy to find some nice music in my own backyard instead of searching all over the world via discogs and paying shipping costs that are as high as the record itself. Plus I made a bad experience lately with a record that I wanted and ordered it from Sweden. They promised an NM record and I received a strangely warped record and I was very disappointed. I got the money back, but that didn’t make me lucky. If my local dealer sold me an NM or VG record I would trust him and never was disappointed. I made more positive than negative experiences and this counts.

I also bought the fantastic sounding Bud Powell Toshiba pressing there and sometimes it is good to concentrate on the music itself and not on soundstage, pressing and audiophility (does this word exist?). Back to the roots! As I was a teenager I was only tempted by the music itself, new interpreters or new tunes. Sometimes I think about that and just enjoy a Eurythmics album I bought for 5 EUR and that’s it :v:

1 Like

Don Cherry - Don Cherry
2019 A&M pressing by GZ

This record is just a huge sound experience. It is funky, soulful, psychedelic and mystic. It is so much fun to dive into this ocean of fusion. And it sounds really brilliant, has a wide open soundstage, a real good pressing by GZ here. Perfect music for me in this winter afternoon with a little sun for the first time in a week.

6 Likes

I absolutely agree, I listen to a lot of music that is far from “audiophile”. A lot of great music is made by musicians who arent or dont have access to “audiophile” technology.

I invest in the best quality audio equipment I can afford to bring the best out of my music no matter how its recorded. And frankly I tend to find chin stroking “audiophiles” a bit of a bore.

:heart:

5 Likes

Arrived this morning from Pressure Sounds/Bandcamp

The Skatalites - Ska-Boo-Da-Bah (Pressure Sounds/Top Deck)

Nice re issue of this original 1965 release on the Chinese Jamaican producer Justin Yap’s Top Deck label.
Sessions recorded at Federal and Studio One in 1963/64. Original copies in clean condition, if you can find one, have asking prices of a few hundred pounds so a very welcome inexpensive re issue from Pressure Sounds, nicely done in a litho sleeve with insert and sleeve notes from Steve Barrow.

Not for “audiophiles” :wink:

:heart:

2 Likes

Light 'til Dawn - Cassandra Wilson. I bought this one recently as it was heavily discounted. Very good and sounds amazing too.

9 Likes

I think Cassandra Wilson can be a bit of a Marmite artist.
I dont have Blue Light 'Til Dawn (might rectify that) but I do have New Moon Daughter on Blue Note which covers songs by Billie Holliday, U2, Son House, Hoagy Carmichael, Hank Williams, Neil Young, Robert Johnson and…The Monkees!

And Belly Of The Sun, a more Blues based album of covers and originals recorded in a “box car” in Mississippi.

Both worth a listen imo

2 Likes

Excellent record Richard I have the Pure Pleasure reissue from 2011 which is a very nice Pallas pressing.

1 Like

Great album by Don :+1:t3: I cherish my original copy…

Nice to see Jim’s collected writings too.

2 Likes

My RSD’s arrived:
The good Captain’s Bat Chain Puller - looking forward to that second live disc…

The Doors (natch) Bakersfield LP set and CD. A real treat coming…

2 Likes

3 Likes

Excellent album :+1:
My collection on vinyl:

8 Likes

Very much the conclusion that writer came to in investigating Rhino/Scorpio.

1 Like

Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster. Latest arrival in the Acoustic Sounds Series. The perfect album with which to relax and unwind on a Friday eve. Great sound, perfect pressing by QRP and of course that gorgeous laminated tip-on gatefold jacket.

10 Likes