What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Led Zeppelin’s ‘Physical Graffiti’, which I hadn’t heard properly before.

I know the first four Led Zepp albums very well, having bought them as they were released, but I never really ventured further in years gone by, so I am buying them all now, fifty or so years after the event.

What with buying The Beatles’ Red and Blue Anthologies, I’m having a good wallow in the music of my youth, all those years ago.

7 Likes

Yet more LPs have arrived - John Lennon’s eight post-Beatles solo albums. I really wanted to hear his ‘Rock n Roll’ album again, and thought that I might as well get all the others while I was at it.

2 Likes

yes DP was the arranger on it as well as many other 60s BNs.

I caved, despite my criticism elsewhere in this thread of the rerelease of these masterpieces as a collection of 12-inch singles.

Atlantic 75 reissues of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Selling England by the Pound by Genesis.

16 Likes

A couple of Lifesigns albums, the Pendragon Love over Fear Acoustic and a, err, CD.

3 Likes

Is that Roger Dean artwork, or are there now LP cover artists who follow Roger Dean’s style?

(It was never a proper Yes album, if Roger Dean hadn’t illustrated the cover!)

No, it’s Liz Saddington, who has done the artwork for the last two Pendragon albums. They are really nicely done, gatefold, embossed cardboard cover and printed cardboard sleeves and lyrics. No non-static liners though, another record I got from them was scratched on one side thanks to the cardboard sleeve I assume after flying across the world.

Do you have a phono stage Mike I can’t quite remember

Or straight into the 552 ?

Yes, a Heed Quasar, powered off a Heed Obselik PS.

That’s just about the first thing that I do with new LPs - throw out the paper inner sleeve and replace with something better. But obviously not when the inner sleeve has info about the record.

1 Like

How many 45rpm discs are used for the Lamb, and how does it sound?

I just went ham on a few HQ pressings…

Mofi Sound Labs cut of Bill Evans - Undercurrent, to replace my DOL version…

Super groovy half-speed remaster…

Venus “Hyper Magnum Sound” master of True Ballads by Archie Shepp. Costing an egregious £77.50 but its my favorite album. All I can say is this Hyper Magnum business better be bloody good!

Hopefully they’ll all turn up with postie tomorrow

3 Likes

After my disappointment with the latest vinyl reissues of Steely Dan’s first two albums, we come to what could well be my favourite SD album of all, Pretzel Logic (or perhaps it should have been “Pretzle” Logic?) and I have to say my hopes are not exactly high…

Happily though, it’s actually rather better than expected. Yes, the balance is warm and highs are somewhat muted at times but at least it has a semblance of life about it and I find I’m really enjoying it - ok, it would have had to have been really bad for me not to enjoy, but right now even small victories are worth celebrating.

12 Likes

After quite a wait, this finally arrived today direct from The Lost Recordings…

7 Likes

Returning for a refund, side 2 track 1 is so full of non fill. An Optimal pressing let down. When there is fill it sounds great but there are so many pfft’s…

10 Likes

Steve Hillage - The Glastonbury Experience (Madfish Records 2LP set) - “previously unreleased vibrantly psychedelic live headline set from 1979 Glastonbury Festival - direct from Steve’s archives” (according to the sticker).

Sadly, nothing was played from his great ‘Fish Rising’ LP, but he was brave enough to play “Are You Experienced”, also Donovan’s “Hurdy Gurdy Man”.

1 Like

One of the biggest disappointments of the Classic Series for me when it was released a couple of years back as it’s one of my favourite Blue Notes I did actually keep mine for the couple tracks that where unaffected but I’ve actually never played it again and listen to my 75th Anniversary copy instead which isn’t as good sonically but of course is plagued by non fill.

1 Like

Isaiah Collier - Parallel Universe
2023 Night Dreamer, Recorded live and cut direct-to-disc, Pressed at Record Industry, Netherlands

Finally my copy arrived and I am very satisfied with it, clean, quiet and flat pressing, wonderfully done. Very nice soundstage, a fantastic record. My first one of this series, hard to get over here. Thanks to Dread for the recommendation

4 Likes

Opeth Sorceress 10” clear vinyl box set

3 Likes

Deacon Blue ‘Raintown’ - I was born in Glasgow, after all.

It’s pressed on blue vinyl, when a sullen grey might have been more appropriate!

2 Likes