What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I think that it’s best that I ignore that rather extraordinary response!

A bit of a generalisation Kev don’t you think?

and I thought he was referring to the UK!

The same could be said about parts of East London, Snoreditch for instance but I wouldn’t brand the whole area a dump.

@Bobthebuilder @anon70766008

Having been there many times, I’m speaking from experience. It’s:
•Squalid and dirty
•Full of litter, hipsters and smug hippies
•There is a terrible drugs and homeless problem (and at weekends, a stag and hen problem)
•Despite having a Green MP and (I think) a Green-led council, it has a woeful recycling and environmental record
•It’s almost as expensive as London
•It’s full of smug people who moved out of London banging on endlessly about how much better Brighton is than London
•The beach is windy, cold and uninviting
•For a tatty seaside resort it has ideas way above its station
•Even the record shop scene isn’t as good as it was
•Too crowded, especially in summer
•Noisy
•Pretentious
•Did I mention dirty?

7 Likes

Yes Bob, as a Londoner born and bred I can tell you this is true.

But London is Europe’s biggest city, a dynamic metropolis of nine million people and 2,000 years of history. For better or for worse, it is the engine of the UK’s economy.

Brighton is a tatty little town on the Sussex coast. It’s not so much the squalor and grubbiness that is so depressing, but the smugness and pretension. Eastbourne, Rye and Worthing, even Shoreham, Hastings, Bexhill and Bognor are much nicer places to visit.

2 Likes

Thread drift Kevster, but Shoreham and Hastings less of a dump?

(I lived along that coast and still have some properties down there).

Ok

They’re dumpy in places Bruss (although my niece lives in Hastings Old Town and it is really nice there), but at least they’re not smug like Brighton is!

1 Like

Hove actually, surely. :wink:

It’s actually Moscow or at a push Istanbul Kev but both probably to dirty for you anyway.

After the invasion of Ukraine, Russia doesn’t really count as part of Europe any more. Geographically Instanbul might count as part of Europe, but culturally it’s Asian.

I’ve visited both and liked them. Moscow’s very clean these days, Istanbul less so. The dirtiest place I’ve ever visited is Bokhara in Uzbekistan, but I loved that! As I said Bob, it’s a question of attitude rather than dirt. Brighton has no reason to be as squalid as it is, apart from complacency. It’s not even that big!

Ok Kev

Oh dear, dear, dear - what utter nonsense!

But, back on point. My latest new LP has just arrived - Claudio Abbado conducting the Vienna Philharmonic in Tchaikovsky’s Fourth Symphony, in DG’s fantastic limited edition The Original Source series (hand numbered 0306/2800).

Something to listen to tomorrow, with a mug of Earl Grey tea and a Danish pastry.

2 Likes

1 Like

4 Likes

Long queue last week at The Roundhouse for TLDP.

I’d not heard/heard of them, but they seemed popular.

Abit of a Sparks/Roxy Music mashup with a touch of dark romanticism… thinking of getting tickets for their tour later in the year but not sure the album has legs to outlast the novelty yet… they’re certainly flavour of the month currently though in the press.

Picked up a copy in a little shop in Sherborne at the weekend.

4 Likes

Have a 2017 release of this which I believe is mastered from a digital source so thought I’d try this version which is mastered from the original analog tapes…

2021 Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series… :+1:

11 Likes