What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Freshly arrived from the US:

Rhino Audiophile series
Television
Marquee Moon

I’ve loved this album since 1977. Time to hear what all the recent Fremer fussin’ & fightin’ is about with this Kevin Gray re-master.

12 Likes

A desert island disc if there ever was one, how does it sound, lots of discussion on the Hoffman site?
How was the Rhino packaging, slightly nervous about ordering this one as they don’t have a great track record on overseas shipping?
I remember reading Nick Kent’s review of MM and driving to Kingston the following weekend to buy a copy unheard, still have it but without the lyric inner which came a tad later.
Saw them at Hammersmith Odeon on both of their early tours, couldn’t believe my luck that the opening band were The Only Ones on one and a new combo called Blondie on the other. TV were announced as “The Ice Kings Of Rock”.
Chris

2 Likes

Hi @ChrisG
Similar story here…went across town ( one of those coincidental happenings) to a tiny record shop in Hammersmith to get my US copy (couldn’t find a copy anywhere in East London) after the same review. I hadn’t heard it either. Then saw them at Hammersmith (not sure who was support as I stayed in the bar until Television…I suspect Blondie). Nick Kent was on the platform at the tube…

I haven’t played MM yet, but the packaging was fine - a fairly standard record box - and pretty quick. No damage to the album cover, which was a great relief.

I’ll get round to playing it soon, when I can turn up the volume!

A nice little haul of LPs yesterday, after doing some other shopping in Brighton:

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (blue vinyl)

The Doors - Strange Days (mono mix, 180gm)

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

Nick Drake - Bryter Later

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (50th Anniversary Remaster, 180gm)

Pink Floyd - The Wall, Remastered (180gm)

All are LPs which I’ve bought several times. My credit card took a bashing to the tune of £164.

5 Likes

Sounds like Southport near me.

1 Like

Thanks Stevie, here you go:

5 Likes

Thanks @ChrisG

Must’ve been Blondie then. Adventure wasn’t released or even known about when I saw them.

Don’t know how I managed to miss that second concert though…

1 Like

Treated myself to these 3 Friday afternoon… Mj & Dire Straits sound fantastic… Not had time to listen to JM Blue yet

5 Likes

Schubert’s ‘Winterreise’ with Ian Bostridge and Leif Ove Andsnes, which comes - surprisingly - on 2LPs from Warner Classics (180gm discs).

I had to buy this, as I bought Bostridge’s book about the piece last week, and I wanted to be able to hear the songs while listening to the records for the first time.

From Resident Records or one of the smaller shops? Great choice in Brighton

You’re right, Mikee, there are some great record shops in Brighton (see my post from 19 hours ago). But the ‘Winterreise’ LPs are rather more esoteric (particularly as I wanted a specific recording), so I had to go for a dip in the Big River, while dodging alligators.

New secondhand vinyl

11 Likes

Or Scarborough :scream:

2023 AP Atlantic 75 Audiophile Series 2xLP 45rpm Ltd Edition… :grinning:

5 Likes

Any good ? (Sound quality wise).

Just arrived from Craft:

8 Likes

Yes very good IMHO, just more of everything… :grin: :+1:

1 Like

Just listened to it digitally this morning, very nice. Wondering how this release is.

I won’t have a chance to listen to it for a day or two @RexManning but as a) it’s a Roy DuNann recording and b) cut from the original tapes by Bernie Grundman, I expect it’ll sound great. Every other Contemporary album BG has done does…

1 Like

I have seen so many Craft LPs recently, and I have even bought a few myself, but I had never heard of the Craft record label until the last few months. Is Craft an old label that has been revived?