What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Two of my all-time favourites (and both not for the first time) have just arrived by courier:

Jeff Buckley ‘Grace’ (gold vinyl, US pressing)

Beethoven’s ‘Pastoral’ (Sixth) Symphony - Vienna Philharmonic/Böhm

1 Like

58 tracks over 7LP’s exploring the creativity and progressive spirit of alternative British music from 1979-1989. It was curated by Steven Wilson, only on LP2 but not bad mastering and pressing at Pallas.

I intended to get the CD version but the price dropped to £96, it went straight back to £165 after I bought it from the River.

IMG_0671

3 Likes

It’s actually not a purchase, but a gift from a friend who had a double one…

8 Likes

Here’s the latest slab…

1st off - the Blue Note Kevin Gray release of Moanin’. Unfortunately the record suffers from (presumably) pressing defects - lots of background noise and several patches of egregious distortion/crackle. Its going back and my disappointment is immeasurable. Hopefully they can replace with a perfect copy.

Next - a couple of really nice releases. ‘Charles Lloyd - The Flowering’ from Speakers Corner and the new Decca reissue of ‘Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l’echafaud’. The Decca issue is ten times better than the Groove Replica one I already had. Notably the high frequency is much more controlled i.e. none of that shrill distorted whining from the trumpet high notes that you sometimes get from releases of a certain quality. It also sounds like a different take to the GR (which I believe is just pressed using the ‘Jazz Track’ CD as the source) although I haven’t A/B’d it.
The Charles Lloyd release is top notch. I’ll keep an eye out for more from Speakers Corner.

Fleetwood Mac - Mr Wonderful, Nina Simone - Here Comes The Sun. Both on Music On Vinyl releases and sound really really good.

The Beatles - 50th Anniversary Abbey Road.
Nuff said.

King Tubby meets Roots Radics - Dangerous Dub
Essential classic, haven’t played this copy yet. Up Next!

6 Likes

Two of my very favourites arrived today, courtesy of Amazon.

Jeff Buckley’s ‘Grace’ (pressed on gold vinyl)

Beethoven’s Sixth Symphony (Pastoral) - Karl Bœhm/Vienna Philharmonic
(which happened to be my late father’s favourite ever recording of anything)

3 Likes

the Boehm/VP 6th was one of my introductions to classical music via my mother. She was a member of the World Record Club back in the early sixties and the Boehm was one of the lps that she received. It has remained my favourite and frankly it has been difficult to listen to other recordings. A thing of great beauty and tenderness.

1 Like

The Bœhm ‘Pastoral’ is a performance of great strength and beauty, orchestra and conductor combining to give of their very best. And the DG engineers did a fantastic job of capturing the sound.

The Speakers Corner issue of Charles Lloyd’s “Forest Flower” is well worth seeking out, out of print at the moment although the do repress from time to time.

3 Likes

Moanin’ was original pressed when Optimal regularly had pressing defects. I left mine too long before I played it and been meaning to try again. It however does sound great outside of the infill that I had on mine.

1 Like

2024 MOFI 45rpm double vinyl… :grin:

10 Likes

A tribute to Ryuichi Sakamoto’s “To the Moon and Back” Been streaming this a lot so nice to have on vinyl and sounds great. A sad lose of such a creative being.

4 Likes

ODMtNDg1My5qcGVn

Bill Evans/Jim Hall - Undercurrent, 2024 Jackpot Records release… :notes: :grinning:

7 Likes

How is the mastering and pressing? I’ve had this on pre order but not received it yet so hoping it sounds good…

Have been checking some sites for weeks now and it seems the European release just gets postponed and postponed.

Hi @Richard.Dane, I have nothing to compare it with, but sounds lovely, few tiny clicks but nothing to spoil the beautiful playing. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

FYI I managed to get my copy from Juno

2 Likes

Came home via Berwick Street today, in some ways carrying back considerably more than I arrived with, in others, considerably lighter…

9 Likes

Three good record shops :ok_hand:t3:

And so close together… the temptation is irresistible.

2 Likes

I’m afraid it was…

1 Like

Alfa Mist & Amika Quartet - Years Ago/Exist (We Forgot), Sekito Records (2024)

Double A Sided 7" single sees Alfa combine forces with long-time collaborators Amika Quartet to produce an emotional and cinematic soundtrack foreboding an extended project later this year.

1 Like