What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Ooh…jealous of your Cecil T album - one I’ve not seen before.

2 Likes

11 Likes

So, Juno immediately sent out a replacement free of charge (legends!). No issues at all with this copy. Sounds great!

6 Likes

Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land, BN/Classic Series (2024)

The is the first Lee Morgan record I bought and the record that really turned me on to the Blue Note label. My first copy was a 75th Anniversary copy which was a bit off sound wise but because of the music I’ve played it a lot.

This Classic Series release by KG is a huge improvement and is up there with my favourites an absolute must for Blue Note fans.

8 Likes

Bob - snap! Just received Search For The New Land today and playing it this evening. A favourite BN and this Kevin Gray cut sounds really fab. Great cover photo too by Francis Wolff.

7 Likes

Love the cover too Richard my 75th anniversary copy will be framed and hung up.

1 Like

I received yesterday from Amazon’s big warehouse in the US ‘The Original Nina Simone - Little Girl Blue’ (Jazz Wax Records), pressed on 180gm vinyl. It’s a Direct Metal Mastering, which was a big thing a few years ago, but seems to have faded - I wonder why?

I know next to nothing about her music, but this album contains ‘My Baby Just Cares For Me’, which I do know, and The Kop’s favourite ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’, plus other standards from George & Ira Gershwin, Rodgers & Hammerstein et al.

1 Like

Latest in my Baroness explorations, an earlier album

Red Album
Relapse Records
‘Custom Cloudy Effect’ vinyl.

2 Likes

Wow, this was on my list for some time, but am amazed by the storm of quality issues early buyers seem to be experiencing. Hope your copy is excellent.

The pressing is absolutely spot-on - dead centred, quiet, and no sign of any non-fill.

I also received Joe Henderson’s Mode for Joe, and I’ll be giving that one a spin later today…

Good to hear positive news about this one. I will be buying it with caution. Good for you, enjoy!

Graham, whats the SQ and pressing like? Often these EU public domain labels (JWR, DOL etc) press the vinyl from meagre CD masters, albeit on 180g, which is meaningless.

No criticism, just enquiring.

Hi, Neil, I will reply once I’ve played it. Certainly w/in the next 48 hours. It looks pretty clean - although that’s never decisive.

1 Like

Joe Henderson - Mode For Joe. BN Classic reissue cut by Kevin Gray. Another top notch title done full justice by this release. Seems to be another nice pressing too (at least on side one, side two about to be played…) keep it up Optimal!!

8 Likes

Just arrived - Grateful Dead Europe '72.

(I was rather too young to see any of that tour, but I saw them at the Wembley Arena in October 1990, which was a fantastic concert.)

1 Like

Hi Graham - Europe '72 is a classic Grateful Dead live album. I was fortunate to see them at Wembley in 72 and 90. If you like what has just arrived, you will need the complete Lyceum recordings on vinyl!

1 Like

If I win the Lottery, Clive, I might just stretch to the $550 needed to secure my copy!

Otherwise, I expect to be very happy with the 3LPs in this set.

In fact, I think that I’ll buy a National Lottery ticket later today, something that I never do otherwise, just for the hell of it.

1 Like

Les Claypool - Adverse Yaw: The Prawn Song Years (2024, Box-set, remaster)

ALready have a couple of albums from this set on vinyl but the rest are new to me and they’re all remastered. Can’t wait to give 'em a spin.

1 Like

Not to mention shipping and import tax! More manageable would be Europe 72 Vol. 2 which despite Wikipedia did get issued on LP as well as CD. There have also been some box sets of individual 72 concerts on vinyl - generally as Record Store Day issues.

Thanks, Clive, I’ll look out for that, but - fortunately or otherwise - I’m not a Deadhead who must own every conceivable release!