What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I tried BB again tonight, but sadly I quit after side 3, it is really not for me. Maybe I’ll have a better experience with Sketches.

@Oxfordian

Good listening to you - I’m sure you will. It is the polar opposite of Brew.

1 Like

10 Likes

Nice collection but my favourite is missing - Piledriver :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

The Groove gods are looking after me today. Just arrived today still sealed and in great condition one of the original 4000 limited edition RSD 2011 45rpm pressings of Fleetwood Mac Rumours . I must admit I was not ready for this as it made me sit up and take stock, as the clarity/detail, soundstage and bass difference is just WOW when compared to the other 45rpm Rumour pressings I have. Really looking forward to playing this again after giving its first wash clean in years.

14 Likes

Karl Böhm’s last recording, Beethoven’s mighty Ninth Symphony with the Vienna Philharmonic and his “ideal” performers in the last movement - Jessye Norman, Brigitte Fassbänder, Placido Domingo and Walter Berry, recorded for DG in November 1990, and appearing as a 2LP set.

One of DG’s first digital recordings, and as good an account of Beethoven’s last symphony as you’ll find, in my opinion. Perhaps too slow for some, but I prefer ‘magisterial’.

I haven’t heard this recording in years, so I will be cranking up the volume a bit later this morning.

It might be instructive to compare these records with some other conductors’ last recordings. Karajan’s last was a record of Bruckner’s Seventh, so I may buy that as well. And Bernstein’s last, if my memory is correct, was a recording of Beethoven’s Seventh with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, coupled with the Four Sea Interludes from Britten’s ‘Peter Grimes’.

1 Like

I found that the early US Kevin Gray/Steve Hoffman cut pressing of this one was streets ahead of the UK/EU one. I had both and immediately sold on the UK/EU copy. I think the easiest way to tell them apart form the outside is that the US one has rounded edges to the hype sticker. I think there was a more recent re-press of the US (or was it re-cut?) but haven’t compared them.

2 Likes

I have one of the made in EU version which sounds good until you hear the printed in U.S.A made in EU ( Pallas German version ) which is very good that’s if you get a good pressing. This one I have just received today is the one that says made in the U.S.A on the back cover and has the misprint on the small print on disc 3 & 4 labels. This should be one of the first limited edition of 4000 cut back in April 2011. All of the above have Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman initials in the dead wax. I must admit it’s a bit of a nightmare at the moment trying to get a good pressing of this amazing album as nothing seems to be clearly defined. However I now know that this one I received today, is to me the best one I have heard to date. Just brilliant.

Yes, although I had read elsewhere that some had pressing issues from the US Pallas pressing. Luckily my own copy was perfect.

There were some Record Store Day issues with a misprint on LP2 and others without - all were Gray/Hoffman cut and Pallas pressed with made in U.S.A. on the back.

FWIW, I think the European issue was pressed at Optimal and they did their own metalwork rather than working from the US stampers, which doubtless goes some way to accounting for the difference in sound quality.

If only they used a slightly different barcode for each different pressing, we would most likely be without all the confusion. The barcode on the one I got today is the same as all the other different pressing I have. However if you want to get the best sounding pressing you have to just keep digging and digging. For me I just scored the Fleetwood Mac holy grail in vinyl.

1 Like

Check matrices - or alternatively in the US go the controversial Hot Stamper route…apparently.
Personally, I try and follow the former. It is difficult with new, sealed records, lol.

1 Like

A blast from the past! Still great though :+1:

10 Likes

Heads up just ordered this great album from the Indigo Girls. Have been waiting for this to be re released for years. Indigo Girls Indigo Girls MOV 180GM BLACK VINYL LP

5 Likes

4 Likes

Hi @TheKevster is this a Mono record?

I don’t think so @krautnaimie – there’s no mention of it being mono on the sleevenotes, the obi or label.

1 Like

ok, so would be nice if you would update info when you played it.

I read on 2 different sources that it should be mono or stereo. so it is a little guess for me as consumer.

Four charity shop box sets. :blush:

4 Likes

Kev, would you object if i dropped you an email?
If so , @Richard.Dane could you , with Kev’s blessing, provide me with his email address?

Grateful

No objections @Neilb1906 @Richard.Dane

2 Likes