What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

10th anniversary 2024 repressing of The Raven That Refused to Sing by Steven Wilson and the 2024 remaster of Jar of Flies EP by Alice In Chains.

8 Likes

He must be short of cash!

1 Like

Crikey, can it really have been 10 years since the release of The Raven That Refused To Sing??

3 Likes

Tom’s latest arrived over the weekend

2 Likes

Pushed the boat out. The Impex 1Step of a classic: Getz/Gilberto - expensive, yes, but payment spread over 3 payslips makes it easier, lol.

Was playing my 1964 US mono copy first thing (so the whole thing about Astrud being on the wrong channel in this stereo reissue doesn’t bother me much…I’ll keep the mono as it obviously doesn’t have the controversial drop outs and…it’s an original).

Only played Girl From… as yet, but this does sound beautiful - a tad bassy maybe, but no more than quite a few new releases & I can dial that down/off on the sub. Edit\ the bass is perfect on my Audeze 'phones.

Still not sure about the banana-coloured slipcase (an in-joke re drummer Milton? :wink:), but the booklet is superb as is the presentation and Stoughton jacket.

5 Likes

My Craft AS OJC reissue of Yusef Lateef’s Eastern Sounds finally arrived from the States. And very lovely it is too! The cover artwork makes an interesting comparison with the regular OJC issue (Moodsville vs. Prestige) , which always sounded great to me. I’ll have to play them back to back sometime, but right now this Craft is sounding fab.

8 Likes

I have the same two pressings Richard and found the new OJC noticeably better on my set up having said that I was really happy with the earlier OJC and might not have bothered with the newer one had the other new Craft/OJC’s I’d purchased not been so good.

1 Like

Not bought much recently, been busy with things, listening to music I already have, and generally trying to be content! However I saw this on new releases on Qobuz so thought I’d listen to a bit of it. Thought it instantly interesting after a minute or so, so actually stopped and bought the vinyl! I like to let some albums unfold, and figured this might be one of those! Anyway, Juno turned it round very quickly and I’m just sat down now listening to Alice Coltrane, The Carnegie Hall Concert, and it’s great! Really interesting, lots going on with the music and the production/reproduction. I don’t know why I like some art, music, films, I just do in some cases. Great stuff.

10 Likes

ECM Luminessence Series

7 Likes

Finally picked up the 3LP vinyl versions of these two releases, which had been on my list for a while. Instead of yet more reissues of stuff which I already had, this is totally new music.

3 Likes

Santana Moonflower. Moon coloured vinyl. Sounds well on my solstice!

3 Likes

Beethoven’s ‘Les Adieux’ piano sonata no 26 (and two others, nos 25 and 27), played with unmatched style and virtuosity by the great Soviet pianist Emil Gilels, from 1975. The record has been re-released on 180gm vinyl as part of DG’s wonderful ‘Original Source’ series last year.

Emil Gilels died suddenly a few years after making this recording, with five of Beethoven’s thirty-two sonatas unrecorded. If complete, the series might have stood unmatched by any other keyboard maestro.

PS I remember reading long ago that Gilels was largely to blame for his Beethoven series being incomplete. The recordings were all made by DG outside the Soviet Union in places such as Turku (Finland). Gilels relished the opportunity to travel outside the Iron Curtain, so - much to the despair of his DG producers - he whittled away his free time by making recordings of slighter works of music that he loved, such as his selection from Grieg’s ‘Lyric Pieces’.

Amanda Whiting - The Liminality of Her, First World (2024)

Really nice music and beautifully played. The pressing is as you would expect not up there with the very best but also not bad.

1 Like

Big Big Train - Welcome To The Planet, this was missing from my collection, now remedied. Run through the Degritter and ready to play… :+1: :grin:

1 Like

New Kid Kapichi.

Difficult cueing when you’ve a Rega Exact !

5 Likes

Porcupine Tree The Delerium Years 1994 - 1997
8 LP Box Set

4 Likes

I’ve had mixed quality on the classic series pressings, but this one’s flat and perfect sounding. Fun listen!

8 Likes

I was tempted into one of Brighton’s many record shops today, while shopping for some new shoes, and came home rather worse off, but with LPs of:

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine

Black Sabbath - self-titled debut LP

Eric Clapton - Unplugged (2LP), with a sticker claiming “The Best Selling Album Of All Time”

Interestingly, all are pressed on 180g vinyl and, rather pleasingly, that makes BBC !

The blurb on the back cover of The Beatles LP has, perhaps confusingly, Derek Taylor’s preview of The White Album, a good bit of marketing.

Another album missing from my collection…

The soundtrack to TPT’s stunning filmed performance Nothing But The Truth…

2021 Kscope release…

1 Like

2024 Original Jazz Classics release… :grinning: :sunglasses:

6 Likes