What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Wonderful album, but was that the price 44.95?
What you have is a public domain release on the DOL label which would most likely have used a CD as the source. You can buy the Blue Note official release for a lot less and it will be from the original tapes. DOL sell at a much reduced price in the Uk for that very reason. Have a look at the Discogs and Steve Hoffman info on them. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the music although I feel it’s good to be aware of what DOL and some other companies are selling.

5 Likes

The fairly recent Blue Note Classic reissue, cut from the analogue tapes by Kevin Gray, is excellent (and fairly inexpensive too), although there are copies out there with non-fill pressing issues that afflicted the initial pressing run, so make sure you get one from recent stock.

3 Likes

$44.95 is in NewZealand dollars

Absolutely agree @Richard.Dane on the recent BN Classic Series. Just bought “Fuchsia Swing Song” from Sam Rivers. This is a fantastic Album and the Sound is fabuluous. The pressing is just great. Again a very good job from Optimal. I was just waiting some months since release date and bought it for 16 EUR. There are plenty of these in the market and the initial prize of 30 EUR is far too high for the demand.

4 Likes

Ah, that make more sense then!

2023 BN Tone Poet Series release… :sunglasses: :grin:

3 Likes

Rounder used to be on the corner of Bartholmew Sq I spent many afternoons in there as a teenager buying House Music imports during the late 80’s.

That was before my time - I moved to Brighton in 2010.

Had this on my wishlist for a while, and finally bit the bullet!

Finished running all six through the Digritter now for playing!! :notes: :grinning:

8 Likes

Spaces

5 Likes

My most recent arrival is a Tone Poet reissue - Elvin Jones’ Poly-Currents. It’s a new one for me, but I’m really loving it. Sound is very good too, although perhaps just missing the top tier from BN. Nice colour photos inside the heavy, glossy tip-on gatefold sleeve.

3 Likes

Alina Bzhezhinska & Tony Kofi - Altera Vita, BBE (2024)

Harpist Alina Bzhezhinska and saxophonist Tony Kofi have joined forces to record a tribute to Pharoah Sanders and the result is excellent probably my favourite new music so far this year.

1 Like

Anoushka Shankar - Chapter II How Dark Is It Before Dawn, Leiter Velag (2024)

Part 2 of a series of releases and as good the first beautiful, relaxing anglo-Indian music of the highest quality.

1 Like

The very last purchases!

2 Likes

Blicher Hemmer Gadd - Get That Motor Runnin’ [ c-nut records 2019 ]

Third release from the power-house tenor/organ combo featuring the legendary drummer Steve Gadd with Michael Blicher (saxophones) and Dan Hemmer (Hammond organ).

The music of Danish saxophonist Michael Blicher is classic bluesy jazz flavored with the soulful sounds of saxophone and Hammond organ. The album features a fantastic guest performance by vocalist Paul Carrack (Mike & Mechanics, Eric Clapton etc).

3 Likes

I hope that you mean “the very latest purchases”.

The “very last purchases” would suggest that you would never be buying another LP again, which I hope - for your sake - won’t be true!

1 Like

This is one I will possibly pass on - have a good Liberty copy and it is also on Mosaic’s stupendous Elvin Blue Note box. Very nice session though - I may be tempted when it drops a bit in price… :thinking:

Elvin was such a nice guy too.

1 Like

They did a great reissue job with this one !