What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Great album with a what a line up. Enjoy it!

Yussef Lateef - Psychicemotus, Impulse/VBR (2023)

I held back from buying this Third Man Verve By Request reissue as there where mixed reviews regarding the pressing but it is a record that I have really wanted since I first heard it and so when I found this opened but listed as Like New copy with a 100% return policy for £25 I thought it worth a punt so fingers crossed.

3 Likes

These two from a Bradford band. Doomy space rock. Think Hawkwind without the synths and sax.

3 Likes

I bought a new copy of the 2LP set of Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Live (Un)Plugged’.

Famously, he broke the rules for this MTV show. He played the first song, ‘Red Headed Woman’, using only acoustic instruments, but then he ‘cheated’ by turning on the amps and treating the audience to some of his greatest hits.

A great record. I can’t see a date for the recording, but the record cover lists dates for his forthcoming European Tour 1993, including one given in Milton Keynes. I was at that concert, given in the MK Bowl on 22 May.

2 Likes

Cleaned on the Degritter ready for playing… :grinning:

R-4264885-1360120467-4327

2009 Analogue Productions 2x45rpm reissue… :notes: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Shuteen Erdenebaatar is a 26 year old jazz pianist from Mongolia who is destined for great things, if the concert I saw in Germany on Saturday night is anything to go by. This is her debut album, signed for me by Shuteen and her band.

3 Likes

More sax appeal to add to my ever expanding Tone Poet collection :saxophone: :blue_heart: :notes:

7 Likes

Another US first press of Strange Days joining my others (small selection in pic!)

This time a Monarch pressing, at last! Looking forward to playing it…

9 Likes

I would be anxious about spending a lot of money to buy a 55-year-old slab of vinyl. Perhaps you got lucky and found a “low mileage” copy.

I still regret never having gone to see Sniffen Court in New York, where that cover shot was photographed. I used to travel to NYC a lot, but I always assumed that the location was West Coast-based.

From what I have read, Sniffen Court is very upmarket, with residents such as Claudia Schiffer.

Nothing to be anxious about so long as you do your homework…and I do. I think you’d be very surprised how great an old copy can still sound and be found.

Yes, I doubt it’ll be mint or near, but I’ve read the playtest notes, seen the disc and cover and it looks to be OK at the very least.

Buying brand-new everything needn’t be the be-all and end-all.

4 Likes

Plus one on buying pre-loved vinyl.

3 Likes

It certainly opens up getting some ‘out-of-print’ releases rather than endlessly sitting on your hands waiting for a (not necessarily better or even equal) reissue. But…each to their own.

More used goodies for us! LOL.

1 Like

I love browsing the second hand vinyl, there are some veritable bargains if you are willing to have a flick through, I grabbed original realises of Wings - BOTR, Joan Armatrading - Me, Myself and Groover Washington Jnr - Winelight all in very very good condition a few weeks back, all play very well and for much less than the price of this years BOTR re-release.

And yes, you can get the odd bad purchase, but not often.

2 Likes

A copy of Susanna Aleksandra Veldi’s superb 2021 album on vinyl, complete with a lovely dedication on the back from the lady herself!

3 Likes

Steven Wilson’s remaster and remix of Richard Wright’s Wet Dream on blue marbled vinyl.

First time with this album for me and unsurprisingly it certainly has a certain Pink Floyd feel to it. The vinyl is thankfully fairly quiet - not always the case with the funky coloured stuff - and overall it sounds really good.

Oh, and a big thumbs up for the lovely Matt finished (almost feels like it’s rubberised) gatefold and nice black anti static poly-lined inner sleeve. Why can’t all LPs come like this.

9 Likes

Pharoah Sanders - Journey To The One, Theresa/Pure Pleasure, (2020)

Pure Pleasure reissue of this 1980 Pharoah release a brilliant line up including Eddie Henderson, Idris Muhammad and Bobby McFerrin the music is of course top drawer and the pressing by Pallas is equal to it.

4 Likes

Yussef Lateef - Psychicemotus, Impusle/VBR (2023)

A Verve By Request/Third Man Records reissue of this excellent 1965 Impulse release and my copy is thankfully very good.

1 Like

Shabaka Hutchings - Perceive Its Beauty, Acknowledge Its Grace, impulse (2024)

Shabaka’s second solo release after laying down his Sax is like Afrikan Culture first rate although both are lacking sonically due to the mastering the music is fabulous.

1 Like

New, sealed:
Two Monks
Straight, No Chaser Impex
Monk In Tokyo Speakers Corner

Used, damn near Mint condition visually, the record looks superb, barely played:

The Doors
Strange Days
Elektra US first Monarch press.

5 Likes

The postman brought this today…:innocent:

3 Likes