What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Bjorn, a member has drawn to my attention that your first image shows your address. I have thus removed it.

1 Like

Thanks Richard :+1:

6 Likes

Arriving here today, been looking forward to this! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

On his 1966 classic Happenings, vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson assembled a quartet with Herbie Hancock on piano, Bob Cranshaw on bass, and Joe Chambers on drums for a sublime post-bop outing featuring captivating Hutcherson originals including the stunning ballad ‘Bouquet’ and Latin-tinged ‘Rojo’ as well as a version of Hancock’s ‘Maiden Voyage’. This Blue Note Classic Vinyl Edition is stereo, all-analog, mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes, and pressed on 180g vinyl at Optimal.

7 Likes

Tell me what you think Debs, this is one I missed from Music Matters. I am sure it will be excellent enjoy.

ATB Graham.

1 Like

Bill Evans Trio - Eververbody Digs Bill Evans, Riverside/Craft RSD Mono (2024)

KG Mono remaster pressed at RTI it has all the ingredients and I don’t have a decent copy just a DMM Waxtime. Bill Evans at his very best in a Trio setting this time with Sam Jones and Philly Joe Jones.

Recorded just a couple of months before Kind of Blue and in the same month as Portrait in Jazz which shows you the rich vein of form he was in.

6 Likes

Lo Moon’s latest… more to keep the collection complete than anything else.

1 Like

RSD2024 and two amazing other vinyls

2 Likes

I picked up a copy of that one as well, along with the two RSD Adderleys. Surprisingly, my local shop had quite a few copies.

The Bill Evans had a run of 7,500 so hopefully everyone can get one for rrp.

Showed up for RSD at about 6am this morning for an 8am opening. Queue was already several hundred deep so I turned straight back round and went back to bed. Popped back in this afternoon and still had to queue for an hour but got the two records I wanted. There were a few others, but none that were super limited, so I’ll just pop back in a few days when the FOMO has calmed down a bit and pick the bits up that are still around. I really love the Lost in Translation Soundtrack. It’s an excellent selection of tracks and it’s brilliant to have the missing tracks on the second record. The little insert was a great little easter egg too.

1 Like

I didn’t do RSD but I did visit a 2/H record shop and stumbled across this beauty!

A US first pressing from 1972 and especially poignant after Dickey Betts’ sad passing 2 days ago. RIP🥲

The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach.

An absolute bargain at £20. And no queueing either👍

Next stop: Degritter clean, then new inner sleeves, then on to the platter.

RSD?……whatever.

5 Likes

Well done @Toon
Nobody needs RSD anymore

1 Like

I’m pretty miffed that a couple of recent RSD releases have ended up as a general release a year or so later, so I’m not getting any more unless they just happen to be in a shop after the event.

1 Like

Chet Baker & Philip Catherine - Signature, Red (2024)

Remastered by Raffaelle De Sandro cut and pressed at Pallas who both get the very best out of a just above average recording.

The music though is excellent Chet as usual is at times ordinary and at times brilliant Philip Catherine however is the star here. Recorded in September 1985 at the 12th Foggia Jazz Festival in Italy it must have been if not the last appearance by the excellent trio then very close as I know Chet disbanded them in autumn of ‘85.

3 Likes

You are right, unfortunately it became a great cash day for some record companies. A lot of pressings are rubbish and overpriced. My local record store here is one of the biggest selling ones in Europe on discogs. He also has loads of customers who come in the store, but he has stopped taking part in the RSD sell out. He told me that copies were getting worse and worse over the years and the prices became ridiculously high. It‘s better to support a local store and buy some preloved records and be content. Most RSD records are to find at eBay after some idiots were standing some hours in a queue

1 Like

Local indie record store is Music Nostalgia in Truro, apparently people queued overnight for RSD, I didn’t.

Arrived about 11:15 to a store whose RSD collection had been decimated not much left and of what was left nothing appealed. But there were plenty of people in the shop, lots of chit-chat and a good mix of gender and age groups.

A hour or so later and I realised I had spent far too much but the pre-loved box had been very productive with original pressings of Sade, Eagles, Alison Moyet and Joan Armatrading finding their way into my shopping basket which had vinyl from some guy bidding goodbye to a yellow brick road, plus represses of Brothers and Sisters, Crime of the Century and Out of Town already in it.

First up this evening is The Allman Brothers with Brothers and Sisters, sounds wonderful.

Looks good, sounds good and a bit novel. Pressing on one side only.

7 Likes

Calling people idiots for standing in line on RSD is a bit strong if it gives them pleasure to do that and feel like they are buying and owning something in their eyes is special then fair play to them.

I personally wouldn’t do it but I do buy a couple of RSD records online each year this year so far I’ve bought the Craft Mono Bill Evans and have my eye on a couple of others.

If companies are making money out of RSD sales that’s fine by me I remember a time not so long ago when there where hardly any vinyl releases and even less record shops so if it helps keep the industry strong then that’s great.

4 Likes

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child, BN Classic (2024)

Due to Paul Weller using the same title for his first Style Council single this was apart from Rockit the first Herbie record I heard yet I didn’t listen to the whole LP for another 30 years and what a cracking record it is.

I’m not sure if it’s the pressing or mastering but unlike the CD I own and the Tidal stream I Iisten to it sounds a little bloated behind the piano and the percussion which both sound almost perfect but it is more than listenable just a little off the usual standard.

4 Likes