What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Lots of reverb on that session - which probably doesn’t help. Strong Gil Evans influence in the voicings.

Yes I know he could be guilty of being heavy handed in his mastering but this pressing seems more so even than my CD version but it’s still a lovely record.

I tend to head to my local store on the Monday after record store day and can usually get the one or two records I am interested in and likely will end up buying a couple of other records, so a good result for the store. I do think though, it is important to remember that RSD is about promoting independent stores and it is successful in doing this because some people’s first visit to a particular record store is on RSD. My local independent stores all get new customers in on the day and they then return and buy more records. Sure record company executives probably do see it as a way to charge more for re-releases but many artists make EPs or 12" singles as limited editions for fans who are very pleased with their purchases.

2 Likes

Of course a point for you, but it would be better for us vinyl lovers if the few big record companies would invest in better quality of the sold albums to satisfy the customers. I know real important independent stores that stopped selling new records in order to have more satisfied customers
I only buy new records online at 2 retailers where I can send bad records back without discussions. I haven’t bought any new records in a store since 5 years or so

Happy buying new, picked up the titles below new at my local indie store yesterday;

Allman Brothers - Brothers and Sisters
Supertramp- Crime of the Century
REM - Out of Time

Obviously all are re-presses, the top two were played last night and are wonderful no issues at all, REM is up for listening to this evening.

If everybody only bought used then the industry would cease to become viable, records would stop being released, shops would close and people would lose jobs. Eventually used records would become very, very expensive as demand for them grew and copies became rarer.

Believe it or not there are people out their running very modest systems that are not as fussy and they don’t sit listening intently at the reverb or the decay of a piano note and there are many, many people who have had an equally bad experience buying used as they have buying new.

4 Likes

@Bobthebuilder - Do you happen to know if this (or is likely to be) available on CD or download?
Thanks

Yes Ian on Amazon currently for £13.

1 Like

Thanks - ordered

1 Like

My experience of buying used has been poor.
I’ve only ever bought Mint or Near Mint from Discogs and those rated EX or better on ebay.
I gave up on ebay 10 years or more ago after disagreeing with a grading and getting the reply “it is in excellent condition, considering it’s 30 years old”.
And I’ve just given up on Discogs too. Out of ten purchases only two have met the grading and then another that’s good enough for me to accept.
God knows what the lesser rated stuff is like.

Happy to buy pre-loved, picked up 4 yesterday, all in excellent or VG+ condition from my local record shop, played one last night; Alison Moyet - Alf, and it played beautifully. It did cost a bit £9.99 but for me worth it.

It replaced a CD version that I bought when the Album was initially released but it has gone AWOL at some point.

My local store is pretty good on second hand grading, if it says EXC on the plastic sleeve the vinyl meets it’s the description.

1 Like

I would be happy to buy used but more often than not they haven’t reached my expectations.

From what I understand of Discogs grading system, for something to be Mint it pretty much needs to have had a couple of plays at most.

The last LP I bought from Discogs was described as Mint but as soon as I opened the package it obviously wasn’t. It had loads of light scratches from where the vinyl had gone into and out of the sleeve many, many times and obvious wear to the label at the centre hole where it had gone over the spindle countless times. That title was over £20 and the seller was far from helpful when I contacted him about returning it.

The ones that have met my expectations I’m very happy with. Would love to have a local dealer with good quality stock.

1 Like

It’s indeed from 1993. Original copy. A fantastic performance - probably my favorite live album of his.

1 Like

I prefer to just buy from my local store, that way I can see what I’m buying, I have no interest in buying off Discogs or any other online marketplace.

When shopping for used vinyl it has to be a shop bought for me.

2 Likes

If I had a local shop that sold quality used vinyl I’d use it regularly and avoid the internet. However, without one I’ve had to buy online. Unfortunately, with a lot of my purchases it seems the M stood for minging and not mint.

3 Likes

Arrived last week. The sound of white by Missy Higgins, 20th anniversary edition, Northern soul classic and Simple Minds live from Paisley Abbey. Unfortunately I had to send this one back due to being off centre on the B side.

2 Likes

My haul from Eisenwald records just arrived. Aside from UADA whom I’m a big fan of, the rest of the vinyl I selected at random based purely on the “vibe” I got from the name and album art. Hope my luck holds out!

4 Likes

I had never heard of any of these bands (I had to scan through Eisenwald records website to work some of them out) so I thought I would give them a stream.

I really liked Flame, Dear Flame. Some excellent doomy metal and a nice female vocal. Could be well worth a purchase.
I also liked Osi And the Jupiter. Not sure how I would genre tag it, folky prog maybe. They have a large back catalogue so I will investigate them more.

The other three were musically either decent or very good but I really struggle these days with the guttural or tortured vocals. I used to listen to Wolves In The Throne Room, Winterfylleth etc but have struggled recently to listen to them due to the vocals. I may give them another go in due course.

Thanks for posting these, the best thing about this thread and the “What Are You listening to” threads is finding new music and I now have at least two more artists to investigate further.

Cheers. G

1 Like

I gave the Osi and the Jupiter a whirl and yeah while it’s not metal at all it was a gorgeous, evocative listen. I’m feeling pretty good about these blind-buys. To be fair, Eisenwald rarely disappoint so the risk was low.

Glad you discovered something new.

Thanks for the heads up @Richard.Dane, have just got the album and listening now and enjoying it. Like you say, it has a certain Pink Floyd feel about it, but there’s nothing wrong with that!

1 Like