What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

The prospect might be as high as 1%. I actually bought one of those Linn 45RPM adapter thingies (for about £45, if I recall correctly), but the amount of force that seems to be necessary to push it onto the motor pulley seems to be ridiculous, and there would need to be at lest as much effort to prise the wretched thing off again.

Some ‘helpful’ soul suggested trimming (ie cutting) the rubber O ring in the adapter, but that seems preposterous to me.

So I just have to be vigilant when I buy LPs not to buy those that play at the wrong speed. I have been largely successful, but three have slipped through recently - Gwen Stefani’s ‘Love `Angel Music Baby’ (two copies d*mnit), Mark Knopfler’s ‘One Deep River’, and The Jesus And Mary Chain’s ‘Glasgow Eyes’, all of which are 2LP sets, perhaps because of the short side lengths.

The ‘LAMB’ LP does have a prominent sticker about the wrong speed - which didn’t help, as I bought from Amazon.

1 Like

Why the quotes? I was genuinely trying to help you. You can either try it and be able to play 45rpm discs, or you can have a little aluminium/rubber trinket and a number of records you can’t play.

3 Likes

Or just have a Lingo fitted?

:wink: :wink:

Depends how keen you are to be getting up every 10 minutes to turn the record !

The great Marshall Allen had his 100th birthday very recently :birthday:

Congrats Marshall on doing the ton!

(Not my copy. Pic courtesy Juno)

Sun Ra Arkestra
Directed by Marshall Allen
Babylon Live
Signature Edition
In and Out Records 2022

7 Likes

Have these as downloads as always thought they would be better vs the vinyl, but after playing Alva Noto “ Unieqav” on vinyl, I had a change of mind!

1 Like

Connie Converse, “How Sad, How Lovely.

Extraordinary artist, active in the 1950s, and quite ahead of her time. In 1974, feeling completely burnt out, she wrote a farewell letter to her friends and family, loaded up her VW Beetle, and was never seen or heard from again. Her music was first released in 2009 (this record is from 2015).

More on her Wikipedia page.

3 Likes

Jack DeJohnette - Sorcery
2023 Craft/Prestige pressed at RTI

Bought this one as it was on sale. Another nice record from the Jazz Dispensary Series, mastered by Kevin Gray from the original Mastertapes. A wonderful fusion melange by fantastic artists.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link to the Wikipedia page. An interesting read and I have found the album you listed on Qobuz and will play later…

1 Like

Amazing

4 Likes

Flaming Wreckage - Terra Inferna (2024, limited edition)
Svalbard - The Weight of the Mask (2023, limited edition)

1 Like

Few more arrived.

Corrosion of Conformity - In the Arms of God (2023, reissue, limited edition)
Converge - The Dusk In Us (2023, reissue, limited edition
Nails - Abandon All Life (2022, reissue, limited edition)

2 Likes

Had to pop into work, so a quick trip to Sister Ray and Reckless was mandatory, natch…

Sister Ray:
Beefheart Spotlight Kid RSD double, mastered by Chris Bellman.
Great Moments With Pharoah Sanders
(compilation)
MOV ltd ed double

And the one I’m very chuffed about
Reckless:
Sun Ra live in London 1990
3x 10" boxset exclusive from Wire magazine.

3 Likes

I like Portico Quartet, Terrain. There’s a YouTube video (why do I call them videos!?) of the performance too

3 Likes

Harold Land, Choma. I can’t recall why I bought this! Other than I follow We Want Sounds on Bandcamp, and they have some interesting releases. Anyway glad I did as it’s a pretty good listen!

5 Likes

Just played the LP. Good sound and good music.

4 Likes

Arrived this week in good condition and ready for the weekend session.

Mark Lanegan Wiskey for the Holly Ghost & Simple Minds. New Gold Dream Live from Paisley Abbey.

2 Likes

This was going for silly money, now back in print on US River for only $25 for a triple album.

One of my fav live albums and great pressing.

IMG_0711

4 Likes

50p charity shop buy.

2 Likes

He now goes by the name of Sananda Maitreya and will be performing his first UK live show in 22 years at this years “Love Supreme” festival in East Sussex

1 Like