What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on Electric Warrior. I may be tempted! (my UK first may be getting on a bit).

And…doh! I’d forgotten I have the MFSL.
Could be fun comparing the three!

2 Likes

Hi I Have the Abbey Road studio half speed master that I have enjoyed listening to many times and is very dynamic and clean. The Kevin Gray cut is something else to listen to, it sounds like 1971. It’s very punchy and catchy. I was just foot tapping away having a great time and trying to sing along with Marc. Loved it.

1 Like

That first U.K. will take some beating. It’s fantastic.

2 Likes

This came in the mail today. Somewhat worn but good enough. (RL1969)

Addendum: Now I understand what all the fuss was about, never in my wildest imagination could I believe that mastering could make such a difference to the end result, this is magically good and must be experienced.

13 Likes

Picked up at local charity shop for £5.00.
Very clean 1977 copy!

14 Likes

One of THE iconig Hipgnosis covers :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I love Feel the Benefit

1 Like

I am not sure where you guys find anything worth buying in charity shops. In my experience I have never found anything of interest, and I go into charity shops a lot.

5 Likes

Luck! It’s the first one I’ve bought for a while. Mostly they’re in a terrible condition!

1 Like

Picked this up today, wonderful.

Edit: There is some sibilance, last two tracks, first side.
Edit 2: and on side two as well, does spoil it somewhat.

5 Likes

A 180g pressing of Frank Zappa’s ‘Hot Rats’. It was a rather noisy pressing that didn’t sound anywhere near as good as my original ‘steamboat’ RSLP Reprise UK first pressing.

That’s a shame. The Bernie Grundman Pallas pressing I have that is nigh on perfect and sounds better than my UK original. Check the dead wax as you may have some other cut or pressing, maybe even a pirate one?

1 Like

My latest LP is an original version of Rod Stewart’s Gasoline Alley, a very nice copy too.

9 Likes

Nat Birchall - Dimension of the Drums (Roots Reggae Instrumentals)

Another fine one man effort, written, played, produced and mastered by Nat Birchall himself he plays all the instruments bass, drums, guitar, piano, organ, melodica, tenor & baritone sax, hand drums and percussion and the Ace Tone ‘Rhythm Ace’ 1969 drum machine.

The music is heavily influenced by Lee Perry and Aston Barret’s use of drum machines during the 70’s and by the dubs and instrumentals of Keith Hudson. Another cracking album from one of our best living Jazz men this guy should be a national treasure.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s the original mix? Zappa remixed Hot Rats and added back material that hadn’t been included originally. I had a shock when I first heard the remix in CD?

For me Depeche Mode peaked with the albums “Music for the Masses” and “Violator”, also not forgetting Martin L Gore’s superb “Counterfeit” ep.
Released the year before the former this comes pretty close and I found a near mint first press in my local record shop for £30. Well pleased.

7 Likes

I dream of going into a charity shop and finding a copy of God Save the Queen on A&M, obviously it’s never gonna happen.

2 Likes

Chet Baker - Pretty/ Groovy, World Pacific (1983)

1983 King Records, Japan reissue of this WP comp of this (then) previously unreleased Chet music.

Beautiful sounding record in near perfect condition for £15. Very happy.

3 Likes

Mount Kimbie - The Sunset Violent. Further to your post regarding this album, I noticed that some staff at Resident record shop in Brighton also recommended it in a “Mid Year Picks 2024” pamphlet received with an LP order. Just listened to it and it sounded very good. Will definitely give it another listen.

2 Likes

Dystopia - De Verboden Diepte I: Veldslag op de Rand van de Wereld (2024, limited edition)

1 Like