What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Yes, I spun this yesterday as a test LP on my upgraded LP12, wonderful analogue mastering. I see it’s listed often as a reference rock LP.

1 Like

My latest four😎. The Camel are all remasters, replacing my used Snow Goose, the others I’ve never heard - all on sale at $30/each.

DSOTM live, well, why not. The vinyl version has rave reviews, so let’s see (listen).

7 Likes

Where and when did you buy your ex Mike? Thought a double Bob Ludwig was very hard to come by outside the US, mine is from Germany and only has RL cut on side 1.

2 Likes

But…as I’ve said before…check side 2. If signed LH, then all good as Lee Hulko followed Ludwig’s mastering so it’s essentially the same as side 1…maybe not worth as much to the collectors, but who cares about that if the sound is the same…

As Ludwig himself was reported as saying
(Ludwig and Hulko worked in the same room, but on different shifts):

" A lacquer that was half RL and half LH …was of the SAME MIX AND MASTER, based on RL’s notes. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME, aside from subtle variances and should be valued the SAME."

PS…I also like the Piros cut, and the Japanese first press is outstanding.

A couple of vinyl reissues which have been on my wish list for a while -

3 Likes

Steve

Have you heard a UK 1st press plum label against your RL copy.
If so what’s your impressions.

I have my original - 588198 A2 B2 110 which sounds fantastic.

ATB Graham.

1 Like

No Graham, afraid I’ve never had the pleasure of a UK first press…
The ones I’ve heard (on LP):
US RL/LH
US Piros
Classic Records
Japanese first and second presses
Australian first press
Page recent remaster.

The ones I’ve kept:
RL/LH
Piros (I think…may have given that to a friend)
Japan first
Classic Records

All the best back!

2 Likes

I have of course checked Stevie but unfortunately not…:confused:

1 Like

Thanks @Bjorn. And my apologies, I didn’t mean to belabour the point, but the capitals in the quote I cited could make it look that way.
I’m no LZ pressings expert so I don’t know of a US RL side one without an LH side 2, I’ll check Discogs, cheers :+1:t3:

The only RL side one I know of is a German cut (don’t know who cut side 2) - I’ve not heard it.

@Bjorn
Edit…and I just re-read your post above (properly this time!) & see it’s the German copy you have…stupid me, I’ve been thinking it was a US. Doh!

Not to self: Must.Pay.Attention.
LOL.

1 Like

Porcupine Tree -Closure/Continuation
Ltd edition white vinyl

8 Likes

Picked up a copy of the Pharoah Sanders Harvest Time box set on Luaka Bop. It was reduced in price to a much more reasonable £38 on Juno although appears to have gone back up to £50 now!

Great value with lots of nice little extras

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve not seen this. I’ll watch it later, but I’m impressed by his bird box collection :grin:

Edit…just got to the Japanese pressings. Hmm…not sure I agree about the first Japan pressing! I’ll have to play it when I can get the volume up, but his description doesn’t tally with my memory…

1 Like

Ah, sorry, I wasn’t clear. It’s a new pressing, very good all the same. I’ve been building up my collection of old analogue favourites on vinyl which I never had in my 300 odd collection. Not many to go, maybe Physical Graffiti, and I want a vinyl copy of Supertramp’s Crime of the Century, and maybe an replacement for a used copy of Breakfast in America.

1 Like

Yes, I have no opinion myself, have only listened to my UK press from the late 70’s and the one I just bought. Interesting to hear what you think after you listen.

Similarly, Bjorn, I have no opinion re LZII UK first as I’ve never heard one. Apart from the presenter’s low opinion of the Japanese pressings, I’d agree on the RL and the Classic of the ones he mentions, and the Piros is indeed not bad at all. I will relisten to my Japanese first press (heh, in case I’m confusing it with my Jfp of LZ1 :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:)

I doubt I’ll chase a UK first. Pretty happy with those I have.

2 Likes

The Stooges - Fun House (2024 re-issue by The Electric Recording Co., limited edition, numbered)

I finally did something I never thought I’d do which was do abandon all financial sense and pre-order an Electric Recording Co. re-issue. Am I a massive fan of The Stooges or Iggy Pop? Nope, in fact I’ve never listened to any Stooges songs outside of an unrecognisable cover by Slayer. So why drop around $900AUD on an album you’ve never heard? Well, I know Fun House by reputation and after hearing so many of my favorite musicians state what a huge influence it was on them, namely Henry Rollins for example, I though hey, if I’m going to pick up a copy, why not go flat-out nuts? And here we are.

Honestly, I’m not even sure I’ll listen to it any soon as I’m paranoid about taking it out of its careful packaging. I might stream the album before I build up the courage to “uncork” it, much like a rare vintage wine.

3 Likes

Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated (2024 re-issue)
Massacre - From Beyond - (2021, full-dynamic range reissue)
Godflesh - s/t (2023 reissue)

And now for something completely different, both musically and price-wise to my last order. Earache had a sale and managed to get all three albums for about $100AUD.

3 Likes

That all looks very relaxing…

1 Like

Wow! I didn’t know anyone issued new records costing anything like that price. It’s a cracking album, even on CD. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it when you pluck up the courage to play it. Will you insure it :wink:

1 Like