What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

These three LPs arrived yesterday from Scott Nangle - thank you for packing so well!

Donny Hathaway - Everything is everything, Aretha - live at Fillmore West, King Curtis - live at Fillmore West.

I’m currently playing the King Curtis on MoV - they can be a bit hit and miss but this one is a big HIT! Great sound and the usual immaculate pressing quality. Delighted with this one. I just hope the two others are up to this standard.

4 Likes

I’d be very interested to hear how the SC Donny Hathaway sounds.

Finally got my hands on a copy of this now it’s come down to £44 on Amazon the original price of £96 was a bit steep.

It contains Ziggy Marley’s remaster which I’m looking forward too I have Stephan Marley’s remaster of Kaya which is very good. You also get the famous Exodus live recorded at The Rainbow, the original cut and a Punky Reggae Party 12" with an unreleased version of Keep On Moving . It also comes with two seven-inch singles an alternate unreleased version of Waiting in Vain b side Roots and the other is Smile Jamaica (Part One) with Smile Jamaica (Part Two) on the b-side . It also comes with a really nice looking colour booklet.

I already have a Mobile Fidelity remaster, the 2015 remaster and a U.K 1st press but like What’s Going On and Kind of Blue you just can’t have enough copies of this record.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m really looking forward to giving the Donny Hathaway a spin. I hope they also reissue his second album; his take on “Giving up” is just sublime.

Let us know if it’s worth buying again before it goes back up in price :sunglasses:

I was wondering too, because that old Rhino/Grundman remaster is about as bad as it gets for poorly done remasters. What a total dumpster fire that one is.

Among some other things…

6 Likes

Yes will do. The Stephen Marley remaster of Kaya on the 40th anniversary issue was very good I wouldn’t say better than the original but very good in it’s own right and worth owning.

One of the few CD’s I kept was the Rhino box set of all his LP’s which I’ve ripped but on vinyl I only own his two duets with Roberta Flack and the greatest hits on ATCO which is excellent so there is a gap in my collection that needs filling!

My thoughts too. It was definitely underwhelming, so a re-cut would be a great idea.

Hi Richard,

The KC is great IMV - one of my absolute keepers and for entertainment value better than the Aretha LP/content. I’ve a CD version of KC too (obviously not MoV) and while it’s more detailed, with greater separation, it lacks something.

The MoV LP is simply a ‘performance’.

1 Like

Amazon emailed me to say that they didn’t have the item in stock luckily HMV are selling it for the same price! So I cancelled the Amazon order and went to HMV instead.

1 Like

Paul Weller - a-side Village, b-side Earth Beat
The first single from his new record On Sunset due out in June.

1 Like

I spun the Donny Hathaway LP last night; it’s good, very good, I think you’ll be pleased with it and the nice thing about the Speakers Corner issues is that they actually quite reasonably priced compared to some of the other premium reissue labels.

2 Likes

10 Likes

abba

Really disappointed with this album. I expected far more with it being a half speed remaster, but like everything it still needs to be done well.
The recording sounds uninvolving and lifeless to the point it sounds slow.
The Steve Hoffman forum seems to share my viewpoint too.

1 Like

Yep, went a little spending spree on Amazon yesterday afternoon…

8 Likes

The Classic Records Bernie G mastering of CSN is wonderful. A different cut than the Rhino, apparently, although I haven’t heard the Rhino.

1 Like

Zara McFarlane & Dennis Bovell - East of the River Nile 12" vinyl

s-l400

2 Likes

Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic. I managed to acquire a U.K. first press on Probe, as recommended by Richard Dane and The Kevster. I’m pleased with this as, despite being around 46 years old, it’s in decent condition and the sound quality is an improvement on my mid-80s copy.

15 Likes