What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Here’s the analysis of the first U.K. pressing on Hoffman where it is compared with the first US pressing, amongst others. My biggest disappointment was buying the MOFI pressing and finding it was from the new CD mix on the Golden Road box set. It puzzled me greatly until the revelations about MOFI using digital sources in their chain.

1969 Original UK Red/Orange Label Pressing
A: WS 1830A-2 *T STEREO
B: WS 1830B-1 *T STEREO
C: WS 1830C-2 *T STEREO
D: WS 1830D-1 *T STEREO
This is unusual in that it’s a foreign pressing that actually sounds better than an American original. The overall presentation is very similar to my 1969 W7 pressing, but it’s somehow crisper, clearer, and more alive, like a thin layer of sonic grunge has been removed. I can’t explain it but it’s the best-sounding version of this album I’ve heard. Maybe the credit goes to Abbey Road mastering engineer Tony Bridge, whose signature “*T” is on the runouts, and who cut the lacquers for this pressing. Remarkable and thrilling! This is my current favorite.

Source here: Grateful Dead on Vinyl: Comparing Pressings | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

1 Like

Wayne Shorter ‘Odyssey of Iska’ Tone Poet LP version.

An old favourite - it will be interesting to see how this compares with my old Liberty LP.

6 Likes

Thanks, the pencil did the trick.

Next question, the new DSOTM live at Wembley has a warp in. It’s so bad, I thought the needle will jump, but it plays okay - not sure it’s great for the arm though. Any easy fix for that? other than an award return process (bought in a shop 150km away)

The most common recommendations I’ve seen are a special record flattening machine (expensive) and sandwiching the record between a couple of sheets of glass and putting it in the oven for a specified time at a specified low temperature (risky).

I stumbled upon a third method recently, entirely by accident. I left a record that had a moderate warp at the bottom of a pile of 20 or 30 records and forgot about it. When I rediscovered it by accident a month or two later and put it on, I was pleasantly surprised to find it flat as a pancake and sounding very good indeed.

I’m now repeating the experiment with another pair of records - Glenn Gould playing the Bach French Suites - that are similarly warped. I’ll check in on them once a month and report back if and when they are fully flattened.

This method is not for the impatient but, if it works consistently, it has the advantage of being easy, cheap, and safe.

1 Like

I hope those 20-30 albums were of scrap value, that’s the worst way to store them.

I’ve done something similar with the album (nude) between two pieces of thick plastic and about eight house bricks on top. Then try and forget about it for 2-3 months. Sometimes works sometimes not.

It’s always been my understanding that records should be stored vertically, and that how I store mine. But I usually have 20 or 30 stacked next to my LP12 and, other than a box set getting slightly bent, I’ve never once had a record show any adverse effect from being stacked that way, even for months at a time, so it’s not a rule I worry about.

Looking forward to diving into this later…

5 Likes

Warren Zevon’s self titled 1976 album. I’ve never had this on vinyl, so I bought this 2024 reissue remastered by Bernie Grundman. Although I knew this was produced by Jackson Browne, I didn’t realise how many famous musicians contributed to this record, including the likes of Phil Everly, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Waddy Wachtel, J.D. Souther, Glenn Frey, Don Henley, David Lindley, Bonnie Raitt, Bobby Keyes and Carl Wilson. There is also a bonus LP of alternate takes.

3 Likes

An absolute stone cold classic….:sunglasses:

1 Like

Oooh! How does that sound Kev?

Delighted to have picked this up earlier at the Pannier Market for only £10! Vinyl condition is EX and has been cleaned on a Project cleaner. I think it might actually be an original 1957 UK pressing

3 Likes

Gonna give it a spin later @Bobthebuilder and will let you know…

1 Like

Deadmau5 - > album title goes here <

3 Likes

Great stuff. ‘Camel’ is a fine debut album from 1973 and was their only outing on MCA. ‘Never Let Go’ appears live regularly and occasionally some of the other tracks do. Andy Ward in an interview in 2003 said it was good album. ‘Nude’ from 1981 is a concept album, one of the early albums not to include the classic line up of Latimer, Bardens, Ferguson and Ward. Very good nonetheless. Enjoy.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Is it the same as this one Kevster?

Listening now on Qobuz, really enjoying it!

2 Likes

That’s the one @mbear - good innit?

1 Like

Well good! Just placed my order :+1:

1 Like

Today’s purchase…:innocent:
(Germany 1982)

15 Likes

Dropped in to Launceston yesterday and pleased to report that two excellent vinyl shops have opened there in the last year.

If heading to Cornwall for a holiday anytime soon, I recommend stopping by ‘Crates is High’ and ‘Keep Audio Co’ (the latter serves excellent coffee).

I picked up this haul between them - all second hand except ‘Rio’

7 Likes