What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Excellent! This is one of those albums you hear in digital and you know immediately digital can’t do it justice, and that vinyl will reveal it. Boy does it reveal a gem, side one is 10/10. Very clean sounding album and quiet.

Slowdive takes some work to listen to with all the layers and I was tired after side one. Amazing album, highly recommended.

1978 US Atlantic first press!

5 Likes

Paul Mccartney Flaming Pie half speed remaster. One of my favourite Macca albums- the improvement in SQ over the Cd and original vinyl is incredible. The note inside states that the running time of the album took advantage of what you could fit onto a cd, but was compressed to fit onto the vinyl. Spreading it across two discs along with the half speed mastering has had a terrific effect. Would be interested to know if anyone else has heard dramatic improvements on other half speed / 2 disc re-issues?

5 Likes

Picked this up at Sainsburys… :flushed: My new record shop! Might get Dylan’s new one tomorrow!

7 Likes

Lovely 1967 UK Verve complete with flipbacks…

7 Likes

IMG_0909

Arrived yesterday and giving it a spin now. The Baby Huey Story The Living Legend. As part of dipping my toes into early 70s funk, I discovered this gem. I love the blend of funk, rock and soul on this. I can’t quite remember how I became aware of this record, although it might be through noticing it was produced by Curtis Mayfield. In addition, I seem to recall someone posting this on the WAYLT thread and I remember thinking the cover was a striking photograph. Having read up on Baby Huey, I was sad to note that tragically he died very young. In fact I think this is his only record.

3 Likes

Yes it was me who posted re this album. Mine is on red vinyl too- I’m a sucker for coloured vinyl - !!

Thanks very much. I’ve not got red vinyl, just plain old black. Either way, it’s a great album.

XTC’s “English Settlement” arrived today, Carly Simon’s “No Secrets” and Janis Joplin’s “I Got Dem Ol’ Kosmic Blues Again Mama” are expected from Pure Pleasure Records any day and this afternoon I ordered the 1/2 speed remaster of Prefab Sprout’s “Steve McQueen”.
Best slow down before the bride starts going on about the swing she’s seen for the garden I said we couldn’t afford just yet …

1 Like

Bought at local auction, with online bidding.

Didn’t view, just went off the description. Large box of classical records.

Hammer price £5.00 :grinning:

I’m going to be busy when they come out of quarantine. :thinking:

11 Likes

I just received this one from Bobbie Gentry reissued by Pure Pleasure records (great service from Scott Nangle, I only ordered a day or so ago!).

Immaculate pressing, and sounds fab!

10 Likes

1 Like

Another excellent-looking re-release on the Pure Pleasure label:

1 Like

@TheKevster, listening to my copy now. Still mesmerising after 40 years. And the interference patterns with the clear vinyl are also mesmerising to watch!

1 Like

Last Saturday, a family in Ramsey on the Isle of Man were selling 50000 LP’s for £1: John Peel’s family put 50,000 records up for sale
I only bought two LP’s from the sale:

1. A really shabby copy of “Do It Yourself” by Ian Dury and the Blockheads

2. This gem:

Subsequent research on Discogs makes me believe the Joan Baez debut album is an original UK pressing from 1960. This makes it the oldest LP in my collection and is the only mono LP that I own. Not bad for £1!

6 Likes

Pixies. Bossanova.

3 Likes

A couple of bargains from the local HMV today, both are 2xLP

6 Likes

Bought this on release and hated it…classic VU/Lou songs given the stadium rock treatment - gave it away.
I must be gettin’ old - heard it the other day and changed my mind…found a NM Canadian first press. Sounds great.

Jeez, I’ll be buying Aerosmith next…(not a chance :wink: )

6 Likes

And the Lana Del Rey had to go back because of awful pops and clicks on side B. Back in the 70’s/80’s and 90’s it was rare for me to have to return a record because of a bad press but I have to do it fairly regularly now. Is that because the QC just isn’t there with vinyl now, or because I have a better playback system now than I had then or do I just have less tolerance for it now I wonder?

That must be so rare…

I was lucky enough to be at her last concert in the UK - at the London Palladium of all places (great music venue) as she turned away from her final song , there was a tear in her eye

The earliest label I’ve seen is Vanguard

A quick look at The River revealed this , so what you bought has now been re-released on 180g vinyl

1 Like