What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Me to not arrived yet !!!

1 Like

Arriving 16th, so says the online retailer

Yes 16th for me also

Possibly one of my best sounding recent purchases, much more interesting than streamed versions:

Of several recent purchases this has so little surface noise/imperfections out of the clear plastic bag that I’m rather taken aback as it’s a picture disc (it takes some effort to remove a disc so straight into some different liners!).

It also looks lovely spinning on the platter too, much nicer than the album’s standard cover art.

I hadn’t really taken to this album via streaming, maybe my upgraded LP12 is finally coming on song !

2 Likes

A few recent purchases …

Paul McCartney - McCartney. Record Day 50th Anniversary Edition, Abbey Road half-speed master. One of the RSD2020 drops from last weekend which arrived this week. This sounds very good indeed!

David Bowie - Changes Now Bowie. Another new 2020 RSD addition to the collection…

Gorillaz - G-Sides. The August 2020 RSD limited edition of G Sides.

The Who - Who. This is the HMV exclusive 1921 Series, and it comes with the main LP on black wax, plus an additional greatest hits album on cream vinyl.

Robbie Robertson - Sinematic. Robbie Robertson’s latest double vinyl issue from last year. Nicely presented on two discs (non gatefold sleeve), with a glossy book showing artwork and photography by Robbie Robertson. Some of the tracks were featured on the Martin Scorsese movie The Irishman. First play today and both discs sound absolutely stunning. A really good album too.

Yello - Point. Latest from Boris & Dieter. Really good sound quality on this disc. Flat, no warps, centered accurately and no clicks between tracks (after a spin on the Okki Nikki). What a cracking album this is. I think I prefer it to Toy!

St. Vincent - Actor. The second album from Annie Clark, so this should be very interesting Acquired secondhand via the auction site.

9 Likes

Oh my, squee time and I’m only 3 tracks in on my newly arrived copy.

Utterly silent. Fantastic synths in the first couple of tracks.

4 Likes

I have just bought this also. HMV now have it in the 2 for £30 Buckets. Exceptional recording…

Realm copy I have is a UK reissue. (1963)
Probably US original will be better but it is hard to find a clean copy.

1 Like

I read the sticker as MAD AMEX and thought who is that ! :laughing:

1 Like

10 Likes

When on Desert Island Discs last week he categorically refuted his support for the Fatwah. He did explain that he was completely taken aback by the demand that he was seen as the Iranian spokesperson rather than just a muslim spokesperson or just someone who was a muslim, and clearly he was naive but that speaks to our racism to conflate the two of course as to the fact that he was or should have been.

Anyone know what the ‘WAR child’ on ChangesNowBowie refers to? A charity perhaps?

I heard DID, I nearly threw up. Stevens/Islam is not only a religious bigot, he is a liar. Racism has nothing to do with it. Typical diversionary tactic to blame the press/media/journalists. If he was really sorry, or had any balls, he’d 'fess up and apologise unreservedly, not only to Rushdie, but to the families of those innocent people murdered by his fellow bigots. If there’s one thing that marks out the pious, it’s their belligerent self-pity.

There is plenty of evidence for his support of the Khomeni fatwa. You can watch these clips, for example, if you have a strong stomach:

9 Likes

It’s a charity which aims to help children affected by war Steve:

3 Likes

It’s not here yet, as it’s a preorder, but I’m looking forward to it.

3 Likes

Thanks Kev.

1 Like

If you get a chance, try and listen to the War Child album “Help”. Great album!

1 Like

I don’t think there is any doubt there! Hideous and appalling…

I’m a bit taken aback I don’t remember those clips which must have been much before 2011.

(My point about racism wasn’t about criticism of the fatwa etc but the first clip certainly puts paid to any such defence. He does indeed defend the Iranian muslim position as if it were ‘the’ muslim position)

2 Likes

Great post Kev

3 Likes

I’ve been looking to replace my long lost copy of this classic album for sometime. However, original 1982 vinyl copys are hard to track down and expensive. So pleased to report that this 2018 vinyl reissue cut by Chris Bellman at Grundman mastering for Rhino records is excellent and well worth tracking down if you are a fan of both these brilliant artists.

5 Likes