What will adding a Ndac to an ND5XS2 bring

As mentioned I currently use a Mutec MC3+ USB wich is basically a USB converter (bridge) between the Innuos and the Dac.

If I used a Naim Streamer then that might have a better connection with the nDac.

1 Like

It’s maybe a more elegant solution, to use SPDIF, within Naim ecosystem.

1 Like

My Naim dealer said the Innuos was a Server and not a Streamer and that really I should use a Naim Streamer like NDX2 but maybe they were just trying to sell me an NDX2.

My Mutec MC3+ USB has BNC out so I currently use BNC to BNC on the nDAc.

Hmmm
There is definitely improvements to be heard as you go up the Innous line.

2 Likes

First, I would defiantly expect an improvement as you go up the Innous line.

It’s not just about the streaming board. Or the server. Also allow for the quality of the power supply deployed, clock, other internal components, etc.

Found it, here you go…
Maybe the section “digital sources & reference points” might interest you.

2 Likes

Actually my non-native English may have distorted what I wanted to convey, which is I think the opposite of your experience? :wink:

With the nDAC/DC1 digital has now the same level, signature and bass as my LP12. Bare ND5 XS2 into the XS3 didn’t reach that level.

(so the LP12 brought out the best in the Nait 2, but the XS3 brings out the best in the LP12)

Through the lovely sweet but also bandwith-limited Nait 2 there was less of a difference, and less of an improvement with the added components, still audible though. As the XS3 has more resolution and bandwith and a better phono stage, the bare ND5 XS2 fell short compared to the LP12, but digital is now on par.

All of the new system now pumps a lot more bass and energy in the room than the previous one.

You have much better amplification and speakers, a different digital cable and likely a different spec of LP12. So it would be normal for your mileage to vary.

Hope all this makes any sense!

4 Likes

:joy: kinda makes sense​:+1:

1 Like

Sure.
I only meant one less box, to use that item, to convert (and reclock).

The other option is to use an external DAC with USB, like the Chord Hugo…
Instead of nDAC :person_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Okay
I’ve had a chance to process all that now…
Thanks for patience.

With a Statement, maybe two options.

First, as a server / streamer source, via an external DAC. The nDAC is decent enough in this role. Maybe a gain if partnered with a better specification DAC from the Chord line.

The second approach is to stream, via your network, to a stand alone streamer. Naim streamers work well in this role.

Lots have been written about a potential hierarchy amongst Naim streamers in this regards.

ND555 and PSU sits at the top.
Humble ND5 XS2 is your start point.

edit : not sure where the Statement, as streamer, sits within all this. But I’m suspicious someone has suggested an NDX2 offers better streaming. My instinct says maybe not.

3 Likes

When I installed two dedicated radials with new sockets and a new Furutech plug on my Grahams Hydra the sound quality took months to fully get settled and stabilised.

3 Likes

If you still have the Bryston, could you sell it and the 200 and get a better Naim amp?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, the more I use the system the better it is starting to sound, when first powered up from the dedicated supply it sounded very flat and closed in not really what I was expecting, thankfully things seem to be improving.

2 Likes

Did you use 10mm square cable and a dedicated CU?

Stick with it
It will come good and be worth it all

2 Likes

That was the plan but unfortunately the funds from the sale of the Bryston had to be prioritised for other purposes, well almost all, managed to purchase my ndac so at least that was something.
Would really like to add a 250dr or even a 300dr, the former is probably the way I will go mainly due to costs involved.

3 Likes

Yes, 10mm, dedicated cu, the full monty my electrician (who is a good friend!) thought I was crackers.

2 Likes

@ratrat have you tried the Pulse mini with the nDAC?

I think the Pulse Mini has an internal Dac.

Tried Pulse.
And the result was interesting …

Mentioned this experience briefly in a recent report….
The section “Nice distractions” might interest you.

As a result, I’m thinking about that.
There may yet be room for a Pulse in our future path. Maybe :thinking:

One idea is to send our ND5 XS2 sideways and use it with a spare NAIT XS2 + HC2, to start a system for a third room. Then, insert a Pulse into our main system, with nDAC, etc. It’s just an idea at this stage. But this loose idea is maybe further down the list of immediate priorities. There are one of two other things we wish to add to main system first.

Background - Been interested in this product for a while. Since the Pulse mini - Pulse - Pulsar line was announced Berlin 2022. It’s taken Innous a while to get these out into dealers. The neat thing about the Innous Pulse - stand alone streaming transport - is that it has SPDIF digital out, which allows it to be connected directly via DC1 into our nDAC. The higher end Innous items (in fact, most recent DAC’s ) require USB. Which requires an extra thing (to convert) and is maybe not so elegant. It a reason why I didn’t demo’ the higher Pulsar. Which I now assume is better still.

For the Pulsar, would go a different route and add a decent DAC from the Chord line. Maybe Hugo TT, connecting via USB.

If you are interesting to learn anymore about Pulse or Pulsar, you might like to chat with Ryder35, who has recent experience of owning both, used with nDAC and Hugo TT. Maybe pop over to my thread / blog and ask him there…

The other thing to note (we already have Innous ZENmini server / streamer, which is a mini marvel ) is access to the well thought through and easy Innous Sense UI. Maybe better, more intuitive UI, than Naim App. FWIW, Roon is best.

Anyway, over the summer, got a great deal on a ND5 XS2, so went that route. No regrets at all. We are delighted with it. Also, the perfect aesthetic fit - form factor - with our other Naim pieces. We love it.

Image : Perfect partners : ND5XS2 - nDAC - SN3

In summary…
Innous are doing some interesting things, worth watching.
My observation is the Pulse is a viable option to consider, if you already have an nDAC (or similarly decent DAC) and are thinking about streamers. Innous Sense UI, by itself, is also worth considering. Plus, maybe don’t mind mixing differently brands and size of boxes, etc.

Hope that helps.
R

7 Likes