What's your top reference track - & Why?

Joe Cocker – Talking Back to The Night.

Sorting out the synths is always a good test for any system.

This is rather good turned up to 11

1 Like

One of the great demo albums. That descending bass riff is visceral on a good full-range set-up.

1 Like

This is a difficult album. A system that is crystal-clear revealing will probably render it unlistenable. But if your taste in music includes “unlistenable” recordings (and a lot of pop and rock falls into this category), it might serve as a warning that steers you towards a more euphonic set-up.

2 Likes

The first time I heard the title track was at a Hifi Show,nr Bolton,Last Drop Village. The KEF room,104’s if memory serves me correctly,the bass sounded as if it was descending beneath the floor, amazing hifi stuff! I was younger then and impressionable and it did blow me away.
I have my original record and later purchased the cd, though I think the groups comment on the cd was that it only captured half of it.I have an ND555 coming in April, so I am sure I’ll give it a spin to put that comment to the test. Guess I’m still impressionable!!!

1 Like

Alternatively, one of the most hideously over-rated albums of all time with a flat, neutral and unexciting production; a dearth of truly great songs and exactly the sort of thing that puts people off hi-fi dealers and shows.

Right, I take it you don’t like it then.

I own it. Can’t remember the last time I played it. Every time I do I remember why I don’t.

So, Mike - what do you use as a reference track?

I usually just play tracks that are my favourites at the time of a demo that I know very well due to the number of plays they recently have had.

5 Likes

I just listened to it again on Tidal and flat, neutral and unexciting don’t come to mind on my system for some reason. A reference track or album does not necessarily need to impress in terms of quality or appeal of its content, rather just its recording and production attributes.

I like your thinking, coincidentally I ripped my original cd of that yesterday and found it as you say ‘unlistenable’.

I don’t have one track as that strikes me as pointless. Combination of what I’m listening to at the firm and some albums/tracks upon which the whole family agree as to how they ought to sound.

That said, the one track I always include in that has already been listed in this thread. Tend to use it more as my go to after a power down/power up though.

@Hollow would you care to point out where I said it was unlistenable?!

You dident Mike - and nor did I! I think you were reading my response to a different post?

Ah, my apologies.

1 Like

Wonderful recording. Pity the music is a bit bland and ‘samey’

1 Like

I have numerous reference tracks, but a current fav is Ray Brown et al ‘Blues for Groundhog’ from the 1980 LP Summerwind.
No vocals, but exquisite tonality of double bass, then drums and cymbals, then piano and finally sax…

1 Like

Thank God I found some of her’music’ on You Tube before wasting €20 on downloading this crock (obviously my opinion only, apologies to her fans!).

1 Like

Which awful album is being discussed…I’ve lost the thread?

Cheers

G

1. Applewood Road - single mic recording atmosphere, harmonies
  2. Diane Reeves /Come In - the bass line, the voice
  3. Talking Heads/Pull Up The Roots - foot-tapping factor