What's your top reference track - & Why?

This one;
Hi-res versions here; https://www.soundliaison.com/
CD and 44.1 flac here; https://Carmengomes.bandcamp.com

I really like it. It’s real music played by real musicians, musicians who can actually play their instrument, no fix it in the mix, and it sounds incredible. Completely phase coherent.
But,OK I’m just an old jazz fan.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the links. I’d been looking for this earlier in the week. I just need to work out which version from all those listed that I can play on the ND555 - I can’t believe that will be easy.

I find that flac 96 works on almost everything.

1 Like

Any audition of mine always - always - kicks off with the Mmmmm Song by the Crash Test Dummies. It’s got it all. Great production, vocals, deep piano, rasping bass, crisp guitars, etc. Tells you a lot in 4 mins. Second in is Layla (the whole album) by DATD’s. For someone who’s albums are generally top notch in terms of recording quality EC allowed a stinker out of the studio (and I’ve got many formats of it in my search for something listenable because the music’s great). Anything that can get to grips with Layla is a winner for me.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment regarding Layla and also wished it could have sounded better I think the audio that was presented helps keep the music fresh.It’s surprising to think that Tom Dowd was involved and all he had achieved and yet it sounds like it does.At least it’s not super slick ,that would be worse.

Have you listened to Eric Clapton “Unplugged”? Layla sounds very good to me there. I have it on another couple cds, can’t remember which ones, and I am away from home at work, but Layla does not sound so good on these others(s).

2 Likes

Yes got that. The Unplugged album is a great recording. I listened to my SHM-CD of Layla the album the other night. It is the best version I have and I have decided I was perhaps a bit harsh with my earlier comments. It has always been the vocals that have grated a bit.

After every change in the system, even when coming back home after a holiday, this is my go to album…

https://static.qobuz.com/images/covers/71/73/0060254747371_600.jpg

6 Likes

‘The Blues’ by Oscar Peterson from JATP Jazz At The Philharmonic with Buddy Rich on drums… a good test of live music with an old concert hall recording.

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC_IaR2_rqI

2 Likes

The greatest song of all time? Answer…

1 Like

Impossible question to answer but definitely not that. Sorry.

Regards,

Lindsay

4 Likes

No need to apologise. I’ve just noticed I posted it on the wrong thread anyway.

It’s definitely ‘And the Gods Made Love’ by Jimi Hendrix.

Thanks, Richard

Two I didn’t have (2 & 3)

1 Like

V

@seakayaker requested that I provide a track list which @filipe and I listened to last Thursday. I’d not suggest that these are in any way ‘reference’ tracks, but mostly are well recorded and relatively sparse in instrumentation.

We started out playing the Cara Dillon album, which I’d asked Phil to bring along as I’d not heard it before and it does attract posts, comments and several ‘likes’ on here. I thought it sounded quite sibilant, which might just be her voice and/or the microphones used.

No vinyl tracks were played, as I wanted Phil to hear just how good the ND555 is.

Other tracks played:

King Crimson - Moonchild
Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Gregson, Collister - It’s All Just Talk (this album was recorded live on an early Teac 4-track cassette Portastudio, but sounds remarkably good)
Damien Rice - Cold Water
Joni Mitchell - Sex Kills
Joni Mitchell - Amelia
Christine Collister - Last Chance Texaco
Kate Bush - Aeriel (I’m not sure which tracks here as I’d left the room and left Phil in charge of selections)
Kate Bush - Sensual World (as above)
Karl Jenkins - Adiemus (as above)
Genesis - Musical Box
Sarah McLachlan - Angel
Sarah McLachlan - Possession
Sinead O’Connor - Nothing Compares to You
Rolling Stones - Fool to Cry
Thea Gilmore - Straight Up

6 Likes

Clive, many thanks for taking the time to pull together and posting the list.

It will make a very nice playlist to run through the system!

1 Like

Current favourite is Hey Now (or any of several tracks) from:

6 Likes

@Richard.Dane
Really enjoy the George Duke recording especially the first track,thanks.
Can you recommend a couple more well recorded albums you use as a reference?

Check out the other two albums I mentioned above. Also, Jackson Browne’s Naked Ride Home, Terry Lee Hale’s Shotgun Pillowcase, Sufjan Stevens’ Illinois, Maceo Parker’s Roots Revisited (Particularly the track Childrens World), Josh Rouse’s 1972 or Nashville. These were all regular albums I’d choose for demos etc…

2 Likes

Many thanks