Which 0% beer are you drinking and why might someone else enjoy it?

Basically it is stopped fermentation. You let the yeast work to an alcohol content of no more than 0.5%. The fermentation is then interrupted by short-term strong heating, so that no further alcohol can develop. Beers that are produced using stopped fermentation often have a sweet taste due to the large amount of residual sugar.
A second process is the subsequent removal of the alcohol. For this purpose, a beer is brewed and fermented in a regular manner. After the beer has matured, the alcohol is evaporated in a vacuum – similar to distillation. These beers taste more like their counterparts with alcohol and are not as sweet in comparison.
So - alcohol free beer is beer indeed - but never alcohol free.

5 Likes

Thanks for explaining that - and so clearly.

I tried quite a few last summer, as I needed to lose some weight and real beer is my nemesis.

None even remotely hit the spot for me. Plus they seemed to have quite high sugar and carbs. Worst thing of all was the price, which despite the lack of alcohol was almost identical. I know the process of brewing low alcohol beer is expensive- but that seemed crazy to me.

Water and lime for me when I’m not drinking, the real thing if I fancy a beer or six.

The better non-alcoholic beer has come a long way, I quite like a few of them and would enjoy as much as any good old cold beer. This one for example is one of my favourites

3 Likes

That’s a cracking one. Had forgotten about it.

1 Like

Spurred on by all the praise for the current crop of low alcohol beers I decided to give them another try. Bought a couple of bottles of Adnams Ghost Ship (0.5%).
Utterly vile. Tried about three mouthfuls and then poured it down the sink.
If anyone would like to swing by and take the second bottle you’re welcome.

Willy.

2 Likes

I hear you but i had quit drinking as i really didnt like to stop. I like the athletic brewing co run wild ipa.

1 Like

Do you usually like the normal Adnams Ghost Ship?

Yep. One of my regulars.

Willy.

That’s a real shame then.

1 Like

Last year I trained for the London marathon. My diet and drinking habits changed drastically. Ultimately I gave up alcohol for a few months. Tried loads of low and no alcohol drinks. Mostly disappointed but this one is now my go to. Equal measures, lots of ice and squeezed wedge of fresh orange

2 Likes

This is actually quite decent in the back garden this evening.

I was drinking every night and had to stop so stopped for 2 months to prove to myself I could.
Went back to drinking less but still most nights.

There’s habit as well as alcohol attraction in it for me so I’m glad I found a nice non- alcoholic for the summer garden.

Guinness 0.0% is the other one that I’ve found acceptable.

We don’t seem to have as many available in Ireland as in the UK and the mainstream ones have been pretty atrocious.

.sjb

2 Likes

I think I would rather drink good water

1 Like

This is the wrong thread for you then. Why are you even here?

My favorite 0,0 is Bavaria IPA. Nothing fancy.

1 Like

For the same reason that other people who have a similar opinion about 0% alcohol beer!

Isn’t beer without alcohol called soft drink :scream:

2 Likes

its still brewed though… but im with you, ill drink it but only if driving.

1 Like

Tbh I haven’t tried any I will give a go at some time in the future.

I just hope the current crop is a lot better than some that came out years ago that didn’t taste beer at all.

I am in Belgium, and local brands are really getting into 0% beers. I am not talking about Jupiler and such, even though Jupiler Zero is allright to drink at a music festival for there are no other options.
My everyday favourite is Leffe (both blond or bruin), both tasty, each in its own way, but maybe too mainstream. If you don’t like sweet and want something more special then there’s Cornet, Brugse Zot (0% version is called Sport Zot :), Affligem, La Chouffe. Recently, I even came across a 0% version of Dutch Trappiste LaTrappe: Nillis - darkish and quite tasty.

3 Likes