Which JAZZ album have you discovered and why you enjoy it

Dreadattecintrols, i can’t disagree. You can’t ignore history and can’t understand and fully appreciate jazz, or other music forms, if you don’t know the fundamentals.
But have I to listen to be bop if I am not involved emotionally ?
Like for blues fans, do they have to listen to blues from 1920 or songs by the slaves in the plantations at the beginning of the 20th century, which are the origins of the blues?
I listen to music since 40 years, know perfectly what’s the music of Charlie Parker, Art Blakey, Ella Fitzgerald or Count Basie is, and have heard it many times.
But today I want to listen to something else. It’s the same for pop/ rock. I was listening some years ago a lot Doors, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Who, Rolling Stones, …Dire Straits…but very very rarely today. Only sometimes.
However I still listen regularly to Aretha Franklin, the Temptations, James Brown, Edwin Star…
And other kinds of music too.

Categorizing jazz, or any music for that matter, can be subjective.
What I consider contemporary you might call standard or traditional. What you consider contemporary I might call avant-garde jazz.
It’s a thin line and I’m always debating which category when I tag my music. I already have about 10 sub categories just for jazz and haven’t found the time/courage to go beyond that (for now at least).

Arthur Blythe, Eli Keszler, Food, Three Fall, Derrick Hodge, Jon Balke, etc not easy to categorize

The reason I choosed the word « actual « . Not really a category, just jazz produced nowadays.

@Richard.Dane, could you please change the title of that thread, by « actual jazz, your discoveries ».
Thanks in advance.

Are you sure FR? The existing thread title seems to make more sense, I feel.

Can you explain? Because people are saying that there is already the Jazz thread. But I wanted to insist on the « nowadays « jazz.
Or just add « which actual jazz …or which contemporary jazz album have you discovered…
What do you think ?

Frenchrooster id leave it as it is. It’s about choice, you can choose to participate or ignore.

1 Like

Ok Pete. You and Richard advise the same. So let it like that.

3 Likes

Well you will have seen from my original post that I thought it was better to have just one jazz thread. However, I pointed out to FR that if he wanted a thread that discussed newly recorded jazz music, it needed better definition as the current title could refer to any jazz album from King Oliver onwards.

Hi Clive,
I wasnt trying to be funny with you, hope you didnt feel that way, rather I was being tongue in cheek.
We are actually pretty much in agreement.
The bottom line for me, is that multiple threads on a similar subject becomes confusing and imo unnecessary, I have laboured the point which seems lost on the OP, fair enough.
So we now have best of Jazz 2020, this thread, theres a female jazz vocal thread, the jazz re:freshed thread,the jazz music thread…
As someone who enjoys all the music under the “Jazz” umbrella and beyond, and doesnt have exhaustive knowledge of any one area, some of which is difficult to clearly define or pigeonhole, I would have liked to see it all brought together under one inclusive thread, encouraging cross pollination, so I for one could make new discoveries from every corner of the genre (ancient to future :wink:) sans blinkers.
Anyway, as someone else has rightly put forward one can choose to take part or not.
I shall continue to watch this thread with interest and thanks to @frenchrooster for his effort & passion, but I will continue to post Jazz related material on the Jazz Music and or What Your Listening To…threads.
Atb
:heart:

2 Likes

Normally best jazz 2020 will close, as we are now in 2021. I will ask Richard to close it.
As for the title, I decided to keep it like it, following the advises of Richard and Pete.
Thanks Dcontrols.

No problem! I have responded to your recent post in the Jazz thread.

Downloaded this one today. Robert Glasper and Mesheel Ndegocello

2 Likes

Charles Sourisse. Remembering Jaco. Nice.

@frenchrooster - sorry to have missed your best Jazz of 2020 thread, it’s the height of summer here and I was only just back to work today after the Christmas break, too busy camping to do that much reflection on the year’s discoveries. Although you seem to have enjoyed most that I have, primarily from Bandcamp.
In no particular order :wink:

1. Wuhen - Kamal Williams
  2. Dark Matter - Moses Boyd
  3. Uprize - SPAZA
  4. Who sent you - Irreverible entanglements
  5. Collocutor - Continuation

Uprize is the only one I’ve not seen referred to in your great threads… https://spaza.bandcamp.com/album/uprize-music-from-the-original-motion-picture

1 Like

Hi, thanks Holmes. I just checked Uprize. Seems that I will pleases me. I put it on my favourite Bandcamp and will then later listen to the album.
We share some good albums :+1:
To be continued in the Jazz thread!

@frenchrooster if you like that try the first SPAZA release, I’ve enjoyed it alot over the last 18 months. https://spaza.bandcamp.com/album/spaza

A new one just dropped on my doorstep What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Hi, thanks. Tried them, even twice for Spaza. But a bit too “mushrooms “jazz for me. :japanese_ogre::jack_o_lantern:. Too high, if you understand me. But I will have to listen later, maybe I will be this time in harmony. :smiley:

1 Like

Still waiting on my copy to come but listen on Tidal until then

2 Likes