Which JAZZ album have you discovered and why you enjoy it

Thank you FR for the new thread. My opinion on the older 50’s and 60’s Jazz and the newer let’s say more contemporary Jazz isn’t one of old and new but of style and of musical tastes some people just prefer Chet Baker to Sons of Kemet it has nothing to with the era these artists recorded in but of the style of Jazz they play which to some is as different as Little Richard and Slayer.

I do feel that with Jazz more than any other genre you can be labelled as old fashioned or something less of a Jazz fan if you don’t embrace the very new sounds of Jazz but hopefully this thread can reflect all styles of Jazz recorded in the past few decades.

1 Like

A very modern Jazz player playing some standards.

And through James Allsop I discovered drummer Kit Downes who also plays a more pared down some might say traditional Jazz but in a very modern way. I’ve yet to buy the album on ECM but listening on Tidal. Recorded at Huddersfield University and featuring the excellent Saxophonist Tom Challenger.

2 Likes

Another very talented young Jazz player is George Crowley.

As long as musicians speak in the queens English aren’t trendy or have beards right? :joy:
Otherwise, sounds like your changing your tune Bob, very welcome :wink:
:+1:

Of course I’ve heard of RG and love all the cross over stuff he does but I’d not heard this record until a few days ago.

8BBDDE74-A9D2-4C6C-A241-597998039CEF

2 Likes

For those who play LP’s Canvas was released as part of the recent Blue Note BN80 series.
:heart:

You know he has a beard, and Canvas includes a piece titled Jelly’s Da Beener, right? :grin:

Discovered that artist yesterday. French artist, playing with french musicians, as Laurent de Wilde.

Black Focus - Yussef Williams.

Not a huge fan of Jazz Fusion from the 70’s & 80’s but this collaboration from Yussef Dayes and Kamal Williams is something really special.

41JujEkt9LL.AC

6 Likes

A friend suggested I have a listen to Miles Davis In A Silent Way.

And a great recommendation from a member on another thread Vastbo Trio Gentlemen…

3 Likes

not a great jazz fan - prog rock is more my thing - but I have been discovering the sax playing of Art Pepper.

Blown away by it!

Hes an amazing, if sad, journey. Enjoy.

Triggered by the “Harry Bosch” novels, and the Amazon TV series, but oh boy, what a player!

1 Like

I haven’t read the books but the Bosch TV series was great.
Not sure if you’ve heard this but it’s one of my favourites recorded with Miles Davis’s backing band.

3 Likes

Probably not new to most but a new album to me. I’ve always liked the Lisa Ekdahl album on which The Tord Gustavsen Trio provides the backing. Nice to be spending the time digging through albums from the past and finding new music by the artists, such as this by his quartet:

I like it a lot too :+1::+1:

not yet, but it’s in the 12 album box set that I’m slowly working my way through…along with the box sets of Bob Marley, Focus, Bowie, Rory Gallagher

I really do need to listen to more music!

Recorded around 2015/16 and they’ve both got beards, right?
:rofl: