Which source you use the most poll

Good for you.

I’m not sure I understand the sentiment, but good for you too.

CD/SACD + Vinyl LPs
No streaming, beside internet radio in the kitchen

3 Likes

I think the topic is very interesting. But I agree with others that the list of choices is less useful.
Suggestion:

1. Streaming hi-res
  2. Streaming lo-res (e,g, Spotify)
  3. Downloads
  4. Vinyl
  5. CD’s using CD player or ripped
  6. Internet Radio
  7. Other

If that is a proposed comprehensive list, CD and CD via ripping should be separate as they may sound different, there is no FM radio, no DAB radio, no cassette, no reel-to-reel. Also. assuming that streaming means online, if you separate that into low and high res, shouldn’t downloads be separated likewise?
Meanwhile if intended as a poll, as many people use multiple sources, it begs a question as to whether to ask main source (if there is a single main), or to seek percentages of each, though I’m not sure that is possible, so instead, possibly, top 3

2 Likes

Until very recently, exclusively CD. Now, exclusively streaming but only from a local source or internet radio.

1 Like

I had to choose Other from the original list. A more detailed answer would be:

1. FM in the car/kitchen; mostly relatively background listening
  2. CD/SACD played directly from the disc, fresh as the day it was made; what I would call ‘proper’ listening

I use Spotify and BBC Sounds, but almost entirely for speech stuff rather than music

Mark

1 Like

I think the best people to answer this question are the Naim-app developers, Because I think this information could really help them to focus the app development.
But that is also because I feel personally that the importance of streaming, as seen in the outcome of this poll, is not reflected in the improvements to the app. I would love to see e.g. improvements related to your favorite streaming albums, like :

• Not having to go to ‘more’ to see a full list of albums.
  • Having the possibility to choose the way album covers are displayed,
  • Be able to filter albums by music genres.

Me too. I didn’t read further

1 Like

I’m surprised there hasn’t yet been a 78 shellac revival, nor a wax cylinder revival…

Careful what you wish for. Recently a 1929 78rpm of Blinde Wilie Dun’s GB Four (King Oliver), Okeh 8689 sold for something like £219.00. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I guess it is a collector’s item - not the same as a revival, producing new ones today! Of course mass production of 78s would all depend on whether there are enough of these:

Nope, you got me there. Unless you’re talking about rare Beatles 78rpm vinyl made in India selling for over £5K.

Well, it seems the poll, even with its “flaws” indicates that most people use streaming in one form or another over other formats.
Thank you all for the heartfelt contributions.

What’s CD?

Nah, just kidding. :laughing:

1 Like

I listen mostly to streamed music because it is convenient, and the streaming SQ is getting closer and closer to vinyl playback, but I use and value 5% of my listening time listening attentively to vinyl. Nothing more relaxing to me than putting on an LP on an LP12 with a glass of single malt scotch (and a book) in hand on a quiet night.

1 Like

What’s Streaming?? :thinking:

2 Likes

Quite!

Looking over our various hifi systems, I can see a Sondek, a Blu-ray player, several CD Players, and a number of RPi-based streamers which pull flac files from the NAS, but also have the ability to “stream” internet radio. I tend to use the RPis, my wife prefers the CDPs.

In the final analysis, it is the music that matters……

I don’t think it indicates people prefer streaming because that’s the source they use most.

I stream from my PC via optical to a QB MK1 more often than I use my turntables or reel to reel. Doesn’t mean I prefer the QB.

When I’m driving I listen to Radio 5 more often than Radio 4, it doesn’t mean I prefer AM over FM.

1 Like
  • 73%Streaming/downloads?

• 18%Vinyl?

• 14%Other?

160voters

170total votes
:thinking: