Which Speakers Cable?

Interesting to read the Martin Collom review posted by Richard. Out of interest after powering down my system and sorting out some cable routing optimisation tweaks I disconnected the 5m lengths of NACA5 and gave them the usual Naim cable flex treatment. Don’t think I’ve ever subjected them to this before.

Powering back up it is certainly no worse so interesting to judge the end results when the PS’s have fully settled down ! I have to say, I have always been happy with NACA5, although WHs current offer on Phantom has piqued my curiosity !

First impressions - sounds like a bit more richness in the sound. The NACA5 is about 20 years old with the Naim plugs soldered at the amp end so maybe it is getting to be a bit like a vintage wine in terms of burn in.

1 Like

I’ve owned a pair of BlackLink cables for many years, and most recently used them when I bought an Atom for a second system in our living room. I never really took that much notice of the sound quality, as it was never going to rival my main system, and it did the job. Then I bought a used set of NACA5, soldered Naim plugs on both ends, and it completely transformed the Atom/N-Sat system from background music into a fun, engaging, musical setup that I can really enjoy.

1 Like

To fit these properly there should be a crimped sleeve over the cable which is then inserted into the plug and secured by the screw.

I see. Crimped sleeve missing. Got to get new bananas now. Any suggestions?

Why not just reterminate the WBT plugs. Check out their website for details on what you need and how to do it. :+1:

I’ve used Chord Epic SuperTwin (bi-wire version) for a few years. When I changed speakers from ATC SCM7 (bi-wireable) to Neat Iota Xplorers (not bi-wireable) I had them joined and terminated with single Chord Ohmic plugs by Cymbiosis, although they had to bore out the plugs slightly to accept what was essentially two cables per plug.

Also got some old NACA4 also that will use with my UQ2 if I ever get round to buying a small pair of speakers for the bedroom.

Because I now ruined them with solder in the plug and through the tiny holes where the screws that clamp the crimped cables are.

Oh dear! We live and learn.:+1:

1 Like

Can you post pictures? I’m not sure why you’d try to solder on a plug not made for it. Also FP 202 are Not WBT’s they are Furutech…And Rhodium is super hard and very hard to solder. If you can remove the cable from the plugs and remove the plugs from the amp. You should be able to heat up the plugs enough to shake the solder off. I’m guessing it’s a Naim amp?

Oh and from the original picture it looks like the cable was terminated with a Rhodium crimp sleeve. So get it all cleaned up the solder most likely didn’t stick if you mangled the little screws if you have any kind of small suction device, like a syringe or a little mucus sucker like you’d use on a child. You can heat up the solder and suck it out of the screws to free them up.

Have you tried a solder pump or wick to remove the excess?

1 Like

Im not sure he knows what that is. I think he may be able to just knock the solder off since the Rhodium plate is very hard and solder really won’t stick to it.

I feel bad for you Lucifer, What even gave you the idea to solder these plugs?

The crimp sleeve isn’t missing its either still in the plug or on the floor or something.

I did and got rid of most of the solder and you are right they are Furutech, my misstake. At least one of the screws are now back in place on each of the plugs. Two of them only has the inner screw reasembled. The outer one doesn´t get in. Perhaps still solder in the screw hole. I used a solder pump to remove the solder.

Now listening with the bare wires at speaker end and Naim plugs at amp end. I´ll put the furutech back shortly (no solder😁)

I think these plugs, which I thought were WBT, but are Furutech possibly never had sleeves. IR are you saying these should have sleeves?

If they are the Furutech Rodium plugs that I had with single or twin Allen key screws, then there was no sleeve. The screws are what secured the cable in the plug.

They are Rodium with twin Allen screw

I will see if I can add picture of them.

1 Like

The twin Allen screws are underneath the coloured heat shrink, for ease of channel identification.

Just like mine