Which whisky are you drinking and why someone else might enjoy it?

I was lucky enough to try this over the weekend…a good friend decided to pop open a bottle for us.

Not sure how many bottles are still around apparently they made 30k for worldwide distribution back in 2016.

Amazing scotch … just out of my budget😀

6 Likes

Just spent a few days in Argyll & Bute staying on an old RNLI lifeboat (in the first image), which was fun. A few more lumps on my head than pre visit. Had a drive down to Campbeltown to try and get something special but unfortunately the recent festival cleared virtually everything out in both Sprinbank distillery and Cadenheads. Managed to pick a few regular things up though.

13 Likes

Couple of new bottles picked up today.

14 Likes

I see that Ralfy has been extolling the virtues of Benromach 12 year old cask strength.

I’ve tried a couple of different offerings from Benromach, and found them to be consistently good.

1 Like

my pal here in Dunblane is Head of Creative at Gordon & MacPhail, I may try and see what I can get through him. :smirk:

Gordon and MacPhail have some fine malts, very nicely packaged, so he’s doing a good job !

1 Like

I drink far too much of the glorious malts (usually those which appear discounted in the supermarkets rather than the really special ones) but I still have a fondness for Ballantine’s … the first really good whisky I drank.
Back in the 1980s, the summer vacation to the Greek isles or Italy, this brand was to be found everywhere and a bottle (duty-free! :)) came back with us. But I couldn’t find it in the English shops so one day I wrote to the distillery to ask. A few weeks later I received a letter from a sales agent who advised I should be able to source it from Rackhams, Birmingham - I checked, it wasn’t on the shelves - or I could write back and order a case directly.
In those days a bottle lasted me weeks/months … I didn’t proceed, just waited for the next foreign holiday.
It always amuses me just how many times you see a bottle of Ballantine’s on the table/in the background of a film. Perhaps the unusual bottle shape makes it more distinctive.

1 Like

It’s the second biggest selling whisky brand in the world after Jonnie Walker @Musicmad. Like Chivas Regal, it’s hugely popular in India, and the Italians also love it. One of my very favourite blended whiskies.

I think that Glen Moray (all their expressions) are among the best values for the dollar (or pound). their 12 year goes for around $35.00. And their 15, 18 and especially their 25, are terrific values as well.

Last year, a friend of mine brought over a bottle of Benromach 42 year. I have tasted many 100’s of scotch whiskies over the years, but none better than that one! It is from the time before the Benromach distillery burnt down. I own a 30 and a 35 from that time as well. they are sublime!

1 Like

I bought a Macallan 12 year old double cask a few weeks back (have always loved Macallan). My eldest daughter was over for a visit yesterday and said that she doesn’t like Scotch. I told her she’s just not drinking the right stuff and gave her a wee dram of the Macallan.
She loved it and had a second.
Powerful stuff …

4 Likes

On this thread I’m sure that I will be disregarded as some kind of heathen, especially when I confess that I have never found whiskey to be to my taste. You’ll be further horrified that I do enjoy a very occasional nip of ‘Tennessee Honey’ Jack Daniels. Consequently I know absolutely nothing about whiskey.
However, while employed by an electricity distribution company as a construction project manager, I occasionally received a Christmas “thank you” from contractors I had awarded work to (all fully above board I assure you). Some of these gifts have remained in my cupboard, untouched, for over 20 years now…

Can anyone advise me, were they or are they still likely to be any good today?

4 Likes

Pretty certain, they’ll be rubbish , but to take away any strain, if I give you my address I will check them for you and of course pay your postage.

On a more serious note I think the whiskies will be fine, I can’t guarantee the wines

3 Likes

12 Likes

To Her Majesty

8 Likes

Can’t see why not. They pulled out a few bottles from a lake that had been there for decades and were still ok.

I’ve only tasted the Talisker and that’s canny dram!

3 Likes

I’v got a bottle of twenty five year old Orkney Malt , I’ve had it for 22 years.

With the drink drive laws, I’ve never wanted to share it with anybody. I will most likely leave it to a family member who will have no qualms , and raise a toast to me …

1 Like

I"m sure the whiskey is fine. The champagne may be past its best especially if it’s been stored upright and the cork has dried a bit.

1 Like

It has I’m afraid (as mentioned I know nothing about ‘booze’ and very rarely drink).

Thanks for the responses. I guess I’ll have to find an excuse to open the shampoo and try it for myself. As for the scotch, I guess it’ll have to stay in the cupboard. I don’t know anyone that drinks the stuff!

16 Likes