Which whisky are you drinking and why someone else might enjoy it?

Not had this before,going down a little too easily :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Has anyone tried the Macallan “Quest” and “Lumina” whiskys? They appear to be only available in Duty Free Shops but there isn’t any info on how long they have been aged for.

They aren’t the cheapest at 80 and 115 euros (or thereabouts) so not sure whether to take the plunge or not.

As a guide, I like the regular 12 yr old but usually try and stretch to the 15 or 18 if I can (I don’t drink it too often so a bottle lasts a good while)

I have to say that I am very wary of all these ‘special editions’ of whiskies that you see at airports. I have never heard of most of them ( but that could just be ignorance on my part!) and they are always pretty expensive. It can be hard to find the straightforward 12yr, 18yr etc versions on sale. A sceptic might think that it is just a ruse to make airport travellers buy overpriced whiskies created just for airports :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That was my thought which was why I have always stayed clear of them in the past

2 Likes

They are genuine, and very good, whiskies. But - at 15, 18, or 21 years in the cask and over - they are aimed at the well-heeled travellers passing through the airports.

1 Like

Hence my caveat about my ignorance!

How about this Tennessee whiskey? This is made from corn and aged in new charred oak, and it is highly rated in the US, not very expensive, cost around $50.

3 Likes

It’s been a while since I had to restock. This is one of 4 bottles
 3 are missing in action. I think the delivery driver is having a good time somewhere :thinking::joy:

Anyway first up is a new one for me. Aberlour 12 yr Single Malt from Speyside. Matured in sherry casks so its fruity but with hints of spice. Quite liking it :grinning:

16 Likes

Bring back from Scotland visit the past weekend. I am particularly happy about the specimen on the right.

15 Likes

Wow Kryptos, that is a nice trio!

1 Like

If you like ‘fruitcake’ style whisky (which I do) then I think Aberlour offers excellent vfm

3 Likes

Dam, isn’t it just. Very good indeed
 reduced at the moment on that rainforest online retailer if anyone wants to try it and save a bit of money as well!

This is worth a punt at the moment as it’s currently on special offer at one of the big supermarkets. If I’d paid four times the price I wouldn’t have been unhappy. A real bargain. Just look at that colour!

IMG_0337

7 Likes

I picked up a brace of these and may well crack the lid off one at the weekend.

9 Likes

Sorry folks. I posted the wrong picture for my recommendation of the month. It should have been this

Still available in the big forest for not a lot!

6 Likes

Many bottles of Pendyrn over the years - A favourite

2 Likes

Very nice
 I had a bottle a year or so ago and really enjoyed it. The 18 is also worth a look if you’re ever tempted!!

2 Likes

I’m a little disappointed. I entered a lottery to buy some allocated whisky here in QuĂ©bec. I chose 7 bottles. Some Blantons Bourbon, a Springbank and a Coal Ila among others.
I did not win the chance to buy a single one! I was really looking forward to trying Springbank. It is very hard to get Campbeltown scotch here for some reason.

1 Like

Springbank is hard to get even in Scotland. :cry:

It must be made in small quantities.