Which whisky are you drinking and why someone else might enjoy it?

I was recently introduced to this amazing Bourbon on sale a few weeks ago for $57.00 cdn dollars. Very smooth as bourbons go.

6 Likes

I love Deanston 12 - top whisky

1 Like

All three distilleries are owned by same company. Deanston is about 4 miles from me and as you say is a great distillery producing great whisky’s. The head distiller of all three is Brendan McCarron who joined from Glenmorangie in 2021. He’s clearly doing a great job as their whisky’s are winning plenty of awards since then. He also quite a character if you get to speak to him.

2 Likes

Interesting indeed @carruthersesq. That commonality makes a lot of sense to me as it maybe helps explain why I gravitate to all of these Whisky’s!
I think they have commonalities, but also each their own individuality. I’ve tried dozens and ended up with these 3 as clear favourites.
Are there others in the stable I should be trying?

1 Like

Ledaig is another brand but distilled on Tobermory, the Ledaig 18 is probably my favourite whisky and reasonably priced for an 18 yr old, priced around £85. It is peated so if peated whisky isn’t your thing then maybe not for you.

1 Like

Has anyone tried this yet? It’s a single grain whisky available for £35 from the Leith Export Co. The Financial Times had an article on Saturday about buying more ‘independent’ whiskies and they give this a very good review

2 Likes

A pre-Christmas gift to myself before new price increases strike…

9 Likes

Very nice! Difficult to get hold of in most places, very limited supply.

1 Like

Yeah what I was thinking and the local store is still selling them for 70 euro.

1 Like

By the way, how does it compare with Lagavulin? The Lagavulin 16 is currently my favourite and curious about other Islay malts without having to buy a bottle to sample.

1 Like

That sounds around RRP in the uk. Good find.

1 Like

It’s very different, Bunnahabhain is very mild Islay malt with very little peat.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the info! It is precisely the strong peat in Lagavulin (in combination with the rest of the flavour they produce) that captured my attention. Perhaps cause I used to enjoy the odd cigar.

2 Likes

Hi @Kryptos am i missing something here? I saw the price rise over the last 24m but is something specific coming?
Good choice BTW
Martin

1 Like

They are increasing taxes on alcoholic drinks here in the Netherlands next year so a local thing.

But most notably a number of outlets here are selling the 10 for 99 euro already now, so I got a new stock price increase feel. I may be wrong though but two of those online outlets have consistently offered the cheapest prices for whiskey here and suddenly they are 30 euro more per bottle on the 10…

Plus the shop is a 5 min walk away so also saved on shipping :grin:

1 Like

If you like Springbank try and find a Longrow, this is Springbanks peated whisky. Also, as mentioned on one of my previous responses a Ledaig 18 is superb and that is peated.

3 Likes

Thank you! Going to keep that is mind!

[edit] And also enjoy their Campbeltown Loch blend actually.

1 Like

A wee dram tonight of Aberfeldy 18yr finished in red wine casks. Certainly on the “Must Replace” list!

7 Likes

A lovely dram @A-Fin I’ve another 16 year old to open in the next day or two.
Slange :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Lucky man!!!

I had a 16 and that was lovely… but does Aberfeldy do anything other than a canny dram :grinning::+1:t2: Slainte Mhath :tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass:

1 Like