Which whisky are you drinking and why someone else might enjoy it?

I’d not heard of this Wm Grant malt before, but it was on special offer in Sainsbury’s so thought I would give it a go. Very nice, it’s got a subtle smokiness about it, and a decent length.

3 Likes

Bunnahabhain 12 is good. Not my favourite on opening, but I found the finish and depth improved once I’d let the air get to it for a while.

1 Like

I have 10 & 12 and I do like both !

1 Like

I was in St Andrews yesterday and popped into Luvians Wine and Whisky shop to see what they had in and found this little fella sat on the shelf. Just sampling now.

10 Likes

Our current tipple.
As someone born and bred in Aberfeldy, I am delighted to see it on this forum.
My ancestors had the distillery which predated Dewars, taking its water from the same source. Other ancestors farmed the land on which the distillery now stands. Yet another had a third distillery in the village in the 1840s. At one time the valley had numerous distilleries, legal and otherwise.
Maybe sadly, my favourite is Ardbeg Ugeadail - I do like a bit of peat.

10 Likes

Seriously good stuff

6 Likes

Thank you @AlanF for that very interesting insight into your family relationship with Aberfeldy and the whisky there for nearly 200 years. It is one of my very favourite malts as I am not one of those who has learnt to appreciate the peat. Your story has made me want to take a short trip up the road in the better weather and pay the disillery another visit.

1 Like

Maybe illicit whisky tasted even better:
Aberfeldy. - Smuggling. –Perthshire Advertiser 1845, Mr Donald Durran, riding-officer on this station, accompanied by Mr William Lee, supervisor, and part of the crew of the Atlantic Excise cutter, discovered one of the most complete concealments for carrying on illicit malting and distillation ever known in the country, all formed under the ground of a farm-steading in this neighbourhood. So complete was it, that they steeped, malted, dried, and distilled in it; so extensive, that it is said there were in low wines, ground malt, and malt in operation, at the time of discovery, nothing less than ten bolls of barley. The secrecy with which the whole premises were constructed may be judged of when we mentioned, that they were formed underneath the dunghill, having a passage for the smoke made to communicate with the vent of a boiler at some distance - all in such artful and ingenious manner as almost to defy the possibility of discovery, and rendering it a matter of regret that the talents, labour and capital expended in their construction, were not employed to a better and more laudable purpose.

5 Likes

A rather lovely 12 yr old Campbeltown from Kilkerran

15 Likes

Whatever

Just wondering, have a good evening.

1 Like

Decided to have a wee dram of Aberfeldy 18 tonight. It’s been a while since the last time I had a some… getting a little low so I think a new one will be needed soon!

Edit…Dam… it’s even better than I remembered. Definitely need to order another!

8 Likes

Just back from my Temple!
I will discover 2 scotch I did not know.

4 Likes

Anybody else notice, that when a bottle of whiskey has been opened for a few months, it loses some intensity?

I have noticed this in the last year (and so has my brother). I bought a good 20 bottles in one brief period. I noticed that after about 6 months, the whiskey lost a lot of flavor.

I will now be buying 1 or 2 bottles at a time.

3 Likes

The regular 4 yo is quite good as well. And less expensive

The Glenallachie 15 on the left is also a cracking whisky. Enjoy

1 Like

Actually, we find the opposite is true. We usually open a bottle, try a dram each and try to leave it alone for a couple of months. This seems to help the flavours develop. We’ve had them open for 6 months and beyond and haven’t noticed degradation. But we do find having a small amount of whisky left in a bottle does affect the intensity.

3 Likes

Will try to get some, thanks!

I know… it’s also on the replace list :grinning:

1 Like

Ralfy’s whisky review 218 - ‘keeping open Whisky bottles fresh’ on youtube will give you a good idea about this.

3 Likes