Why do I enjoy my nait 2 better than 62/hi/140

to be clear I use the phono as straight through with a Lehman black cube se. so not using the boards in the NAIT2 or the separates. And also my point is that on the same equipment the Nait is easier to listen to in a good way.

1 Like

Yes, but a more fair comparison between the pre/hi/power combo and the Nait 2 would be to also service the latter.

It may be so in need of a service that now it’s just warm and fuzzy and in your system could show the same family-sound as the separates when it returns.

If so (and I have a hunch it will), you could then experiment with some of the options that I personally found to work above average for shoebox Naim gear with other combinations working much less satisfactorily, your mileage or that of others may vary.

For troubleshooting you could also swap in a loaner modern Naim amp to see what that brings with the rest of your existing system in comparison. Or take out the HiCap for example, check the cables between the separates (old or new SNAICs?), all to have more benchmarks.

Just my 2 cents, hope this better explains what I was trying to say.

1 Like

Yes, it is actually ± 1/3 of a Nait 5SI price.

Well
a mint serviced CB Nait 2 on the auction site could go higher than a pre-loved 5Si there by now, at least on our European side of things.

Nait 2 is a head scratcher - just get the highest quality most efficient speakers you can then enjoy its gifts!

3 Likes

A few years back my 552 and 500 were being DR’d and recapped. My Olive “CD” Nait 2 served as my hi-fi for a few months. It was toe-tapping fun. Certainly none of the detail and poise of the 500 series, but it boogied and was super fun to listen to. It kind of scared me as it was very good.

Naim should do a 50th Anniversary Nait 2.

11 Likes

The nearest dealer is 2 hours away and I don’t think he would do a trial. I have never actually purchased anything there and I really don’t want to spend anything unless I sell what I have. I just want to get the separates sounding less resonant or over driven. Don’t know how to describe it

What do you mean by over driven?

Not from what I’ve seen. 700 quid for a Nait 2 now!

If it hasn’t been done then the Nait2 will benefit from a service/recap. Mine did in a very obvious way.

1 Like

Like the input is causing the system to be strained. too high an input from the source.

so yes some day I will get the NAIT2 serviced but it sounds very good. I am really interested in why the separates song so resonant of or in your face. Just not clean in the midrange. Kind of forced sound

With a remote control! :wink:

2 Likes

My theory would be that the serviced separates are much more resolving than the unserviced Nait 2, and this highlights issues upstream (source) or downstream (speakers) or in between (cables) or all three combined.

Secondly, have you already tried the separates without the HiCap (also serviced or not?) to see how you like that?

A Nait2 with the correctly matched speakers and room can give any Naim amp combination a serious run for their money - this should tell us everything we need to know about it.
Is it for everyone and every pair of speakers - of course not, but when it clicks, for whatever reason there’s nothing quite like it in terms of music enjoyment.

4 Likes

No. Let Naim live on future glories.

OK, thanks

I understand what you’re saying but don’t think I can identify with that experience

Hi cap is serviced. even 18 years ago I had the same concerns but it just bugs me more now. Maybe because I pad quite a bit for servicing. I think I will try the cd on the same input as the vinyl. It is straight through and switched to RCA so I have a better interconnect there

As already stated by @Guinnless at the very beginning of this thread, you might want to try a different digital source, like a Naim CD5 (XS or the original one) or a ND5 XS (1 or 2), see where that brings you.

Good that the HiCap is serviced, but how do you like the sound with the Nac powered from the Nap, better or worse?

The funds invested in the servicing will for years protect the (resale) value of the items and will asure you they are in the best condition, so if possible I wouldn’t loose sleep over that.

I hear that the Nait 2, with matched source and speakers, can heal the sick and raise the dead

9 Likes