Why is this board so 'blokey'?

Depends what bowl is used for and how frequently. I several times a day, for washing up and perhaps other things, I’d keep it in main sink - there is the half sink where water can flow for washing hands, quick rinsing a glass before filling, etc. If used less often, if it can fit in cupboard beneath sink, or other nearby cupboard, that would be better. On draining board only seems logical when just rinsed and dripping dry, however if no storage space such as cupboard, and if main sink used often without bowl, then draining board might be only option. Have I passed the test?

1 Like

I may have asked the same name question before and got it wrong then. Apologies if that is the case.

So what I’m taking away from this thread is that @HungryHalibut is too blokey :wink:

Seriously I have no idea…

IMG_9208

2 Likes

The image in the original post must have changed?

I know who the chap on the Raleigh is!

1 Like

No Problem, Xanthe is actually a female name.

She is one of the Okanids - a daughter of Okeanos and Tethys. (The male cognate name is Xanthos.)
So that makes me a demi-Titan!

She may have been one of the nephelae, possible responsible for painting the clouds yellow at dawn and dusk.

2 Likes

Thanks Xanthe, I’d appreciated Xanthe was a female name for some time.

I think I may have been barking up the wrong tree entirely with the other username on the old forum, unsure if I’ve asked you the same question before - convinced my search parameters need improvement!

(Darned iphone editing - couldn’t move cursor!)

So you use a wash basin in your sink? In this an English thing?

Too dopey more like. I’ve no idea what you mean.

Yes, some people use washing-up bowls in the kitchen sink in Britain.

Why?

2 Likes

If you have a very large sink it makes sense for traditional-style washing up wanting a decent depth of hot soapy water.

1 Like

If you have the warm soapy water in the bowl, you can then rinse with cold water and let it go down the sink, without cooling the water in the bowl.

5 Likes

Rinsing with cold water (running out of the tap down into the sink) is rather a waste of water for us here on a metered supply. Our washing up is in a bowl inside the sink, with hot water (mostly, sometimes the water is kept for a few hours and more items washed in the same now cold water), and finally the “grey water” is used watering flower pots in the garden.

Try and use as little water as possible here in this household…

The idea of a plastic bowl inside the stainless sink maybe kinder to the stuff being washed up, and maybe the water in a plastic bowl will stay hotter for longer rather than in the stainless sink.

1 Like

I’ve got this image in my head of someone with dysentery surrounded by dead house plants.

3 Likes

Dk you not rinse the things washed in thd soapy, dirty water?

We converted to dishwasher many years ago, so only the few things unsuited or too large are washed by hand. More hygenic, less tedious, and with modern dishwashers I think may use less water, at least compared to washing anx rinsing. But my wife misses the industrial one she had when she was working: complete cycle in 10 minutes ready for re-use!

Edit: with four people in the house, the dishwasher is used probably around twice a week. When it soon goes down to 2 people it might only be once a week, or lose a bit of efficiency by using it before it’s full if the contents starts to get smelly!

2 Likes

I would ideally get rid of it, as my partner loves the wash bowl. It does however have its uses.
Some heavily soiled items might need to soak for a while in hot soapy water. They can soak in the bowl left on the counter leaving the sink empty for other uses.
If there is a lot of washing up, things can be pre rinsed and stacked up in the bowl ready to be loaded in the dishwasher.
If running low on washing up Liquid, some soapy water in the bowl goes further. We usually wash up items before going in a dishwasher. Seems extravagant I know but the hot temperatures in the dishwasher sterilises.
And of course if you need to have hot soapy water away from the sink to clean windows or to soak your feet. :innocent:

Only twice a week, do you wash certain things by hand?

I think ours is on at least twice daily (4 people), despite me considering it some kind of challenge to get as much in as possible to wash efficiently without overfilling with ‘dead spots’. Drinking loads of mugs of tea each day and only occasionally washing the last mug by hand for the next cuppa probably doesn’t help.

Sounds like Mrs Bruss and use of the washing machine. It’s a sunny day so wash mc must be used to take advantage of the weather. Can I have your shirt, etc. No darling I’m still wearing it. :grin:

1 Like