Why is this board so 'blokey'?

Hey guys there are such things as a double sink, one for washing the other for rinsing. They’re been around for a long time. :grin:

1 Like

Oh but you are talking about the developed world :grin:

[hypocrite alert] double sinks are not really a thing here and neither are wash bins or drain plugs. You just run the hot tap like a shower and detergent up your sponge or cloth and wash and rinse under a running tap until done. Though I have a motion sensing tap. It just gives me water when I wave the dish under it. But that is new. The last 20 years of washing up was basically just running a hot tap for 30 minutes every day.

2 Likes

DD was half of White Noise, who created the (to me) excellent album An electric storm.

2 Likes

Indeed, hence my original question. Though our second sink is mostly for drip drying - only a few things get rinsed. But the fish washer gets the most work - double drawers and all :joy:

2 Likes

You wash your fish :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Yes, that job always gets left to me. I have to catch it, fillet it and bury the waste too :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Sorry I thought it was a mistake and meant to have been dish. :grin:

I’ll blame the drugs.

2 Likes

The history of emancipation is strongly related to automation. The person who invented the dishwasher has done more for emancipation than the Grauniad in its entire lifetime.

I knew a now retired professor who spend some time on this subject, it’s fascinating.

2 Likes

Ha, it was a mistake, but it was so good, I left it as it was.

3 Likes

I’ve got no excuse for same assumption! Now I’m picturing a machine like a dishwasher, with rows of fish in racks…

1 Like

I’ll still blame the drugs.

1 Like

thanks - I’ll add that to my playlist.

I think the album was mentioned at the end of the BBC documentary on Delia Derbyshire - I recognize the album cover which I have seen a few before without knowing what it was.

1 Like

Yes, and the fossil fuels that powered the machines.

The Energy of Slaves: Oil and the New Servitude
Andrew Nikiforuk

By the winner of the Rachel Carson Environment Book Award

Ancient civilizations relied on shackled human muscle. It took the energy of slaves to plant crops, clothe emperors, and build cities. Nineteenth-century slaveholders viewed critics as hostilely as oil companies and governments now regard environmentalists. Yet the abolition movement had an invisible ally: coal and oil. As the world’s most versatile workers, fossil fuels replenished slavery’s ranks with combustion engines and other labor-saving tools. Since then, cheap oil has transformed politics, economics, science, agriculture, and even our concept of happiness. Many North Americans today live as extravagantly as Caribbean plantation owners. We feel entitled to surplus energy and rationalize inequality, even barbarity, to get it. But endless growth is an illusion.

6 Likes

One of the first inventions to have a significant effect was the rigid horse collar as it enabled a horse to do more work than two slaves. (On the other hand oxen were still more effective than slaves, but more difficult to manage.)

2 Likes

Yes, and my Rolex

1 Like

And created in the old flat just above/to the side of the (now gone) Honest Jon’s jazz and reggae shop in Camden Town. I spent hours and hours in that place oblivious to what had taken place just above, about 10 years before (I think David Vorhaus got evicted due to noise complaints in the end). Sometimes you realise that London history can be quite condensed !

1 Like

Strictly speaking - one third of, I guess - with Brian Hodgson and David Vorhaus. The previous ‘Unit Delta Plus’ was with just Hodgson, fellow Radiophonic Workshop bod.

I first went down on my own on visits to London from Birmingham from 1979 onwards.

I loved seeing jazz and other bands play on Sundays at Dingwalls in the market by the canal.

Also going record hunting and modern first edition book hunting in Camden, Covent Garden and other places around London.

Those were exciting times for me as a teenager.

I loved Reddington’s Rare Records in Birmingham as well, of course.

3 Likes

Oh yes, you’re right, I’d forgotten him

Many reasons, one immediately springs to mind. I can’t think of a single woman I know who’d care about the directionality of fuses, let alone want to debate it.

1 Like