Why is this board so 'blokey'?

Not sure, bloke is used often here … it’s originally a cockney thing but used far wider than in London now. Probably used more when referring to men slightly disrespectfully, or anonymously … like there was this group of blokes in the pub all shouting and causing a nuisance … possibly in Australia / NZ it’s more an affectionate reference… but the cockney source will be the same.

For those interested in the English language accents and colloquialisms , and why and how certain British regional accents became the root of influence of other country English accents like in Australia… I can recommend some of Charlie Haylock’s talks and books… fascinating and entertaining. Hint the Australian root accent was derived or influenced from the mixture of Cockney/London and Suffolk accents … derived on initial sources of mass migration from Britain

1 Like

Who you calling a member :grin:

1 Like

Fella around here tends to be used to describe a woman’s male partner… like my fella … and perhaps used more my women when describing group of men affectionately, or a group of men affectionately when in mixed company… other than that I never really hear it used… you hear fellow used sometimes as a term of group association… like fellow music lovers… but that applies to all people and genders.

There were plenty of other adjectives I could have used but I was trying to be polite. :grin:

2 Likes

Morning Pete, Glad you are holding on to that sense of humour. It’ll get you through. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve still got way too many people to annoy and I’m not going anywhere till I get a like from HH. :rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

You’ll be waiting a long time then……

2 Likes

That’s plan :rofl:

1 Like

We’ve had that. My wife gets a new car every 3 years, whereas I tend to hang on to mine. However, whenever we’re replacing one we both go and have a look, she doesn’t ‘need’ me, it’s just something we do together, we’re both interested and two heads are better than one etc., so every three years we troop round a number of showrooms.

Now, whenever we go into one, it’s invariably me that the bloke first approaches (I have yet to meet a female car sales person iirc) and even after we clarify it’s my wife looking at a car, a surprising number still address me when they talk. And when they do talk to my wife, it can easily become patronising at a very swift rate. Really surprising in modern times but there you go.

Interestingly, it’s a phenomenon that’s clearly split between brands in our experience, with the showrooms for Japanese manufacturers which seem able to get it right straight from the off. The Germans are the worst, though the ‘Swedes’ and JLR not great either.

Guess where she bought her last three cars from!

5 Likes

You see Pete you’re going about it in the wrong way. Just take a tip from Pete & Dud in the 1967 film Bedazzled. Now watch this and take note.

Oh @HungryHalibut you’re wonderful, you’re amazing, you’re divine, you’re wise, you are the most adorable person in the world.

4 Likes

How many hours of your life did you spend watching Home and Away?

I have it on good authority that blokes don’t watch soap operas!

1 Like

Okay, I qualify. :troll:

Zelda BotW?

I used to be a 7st weakling, but now I’m two separate gorillas……:crazy_face::guitar::blush:

Same sort of assumptions at work there I imagine. I too have a Japanese car!

1 Like

Not confined to cars. My wife was head chef of a kitchen, and invariably any new supplier or service person on arriving would ignore her even when she was closest, and ask a male member of staff, or if she was the only one ther ask her where the boss is. But a great tale some years ago when we had a new drive laid at a previous house, by the people who call at the house and offfer to do (usually dodgy, but we wanted done, and agreed how it was to be done, in some detail - that was jointly my wife and me in the discussion. At that time my wife wasn’t working during the day, so could keep an eye on things (otherwise we would not have engaged them). When they were doing it my wife checked from time to time out of the window and noticed they had started laying without putting in the agreed membrane. She went out and spoke to them, they got quite shirty, saying they were doing it right and she didn’t know what she was talking about. She said if you want to be paid do what we agreed. They got quite aggressive, and when she didn’t back down they demanded to see the man of the house (as if I’d say it was ok to carry on wrongly!). She stood her ground and said, calmly: “Why do you want to see him? i’ll be the one paying you and if I’m not satisfied you don’t get a penny.” That did the trick!

3 Likes

That is appalling. I’d do my nut.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed botw after playing it I wanted every game to have the glider. Though having to wait for the rain to stop for climbing to work was a tough frustrating. I’m looking forward to the new Zelda game coming in September it’s close to my birthday so it feels like a gift from Nintendo :joy:.

1 Like

I’m not a gamer, but I got so drawn into botw that I did 100% of the game!

My son bought Zelda tears of the kingdom, and it’s a an even bigger multidimensional version of the game.

I played through the main storyline and then have put it on hold because it takes too much of my time right now.

Presumably you know that if you catch frogs and cook them up with monster parts, you can make an elixir that gives you the ability to climb reasonably well on slippery rock in the rain.

1 Like

Where on earth did you get this very recent photograph of me???

1 Like