Wifi strength

Did you check those items I pointed out earlier…
If you are seeing freezing behaviour that won’t be down to wifi signal strength… that will be something else…
Best be systematic.

1. Does everything use DHCP.
  2. When there is an issue and an app freezes… what does that mean…
    does it lock up? Or is it simply performance slows …
  3. When your wife uses her PC and your apps freeze… what is your wife doing on the PC… or is it simply being turned on…

Answers to these will help stop chasing ghosts… I know everyone means well, but much on this thread would not be relevant for a freezing application.

1 Like

45 m2 only? Your legs are probably out of your door :rofl:

That is a good point - if there is LAN address-clash because two devices are trying to use the same address then one won’t get it!
But if only one device has a static address then the DHCP will issue other dynamic addresses as required - but if you have two static the same…bad, but just seems unlikely, but worth checking.

DB.

20 m2 living room, 10 m2 room, 10 m2 kitchen, 5 m2 bathroom. We are two only. Versailles is very expensive…

I already responded before Simon. Nothing changed, just a new router from the same provider. My wife is reading and writing mails.
The app freeze is just an example. Google take a lot of time to open…etc
I feel the response was given as the check another WiFi channel, less congested.

I was kidding with you…do you mean The Versailles Palace if so it`s not small :grinning:

Yes Meni. I live in the palace. I am the King !

1 Like

GREAT NEWS: I am back home and discovered that they are installing fiber in my building. My building is from 1730, only 4 stages. I didn’t expected fiber in my area.
So maybe in one week I will have fiber at home. I guess that I will not have anymore WiFi problems ?

That will not make any difference at all if the problem is not the link to your house Router from Provider but the Router WiFi to your devices in your house.

For other reasons it will be great to have more Provider Bandwidth - you may also get another Router and with it another WiFi transmitter that may just happen to work better, so that may solve your problem indirectly. But the problems you describe here are nothing to do with the link to your house, so still worth resolving the WiFi problem in-house.

DB.

2 Likes

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

:tired_face::weary::sob::cry:

Perhaps all good! :smiley: :hear_no_evil:

DB.

As DB says, this will make no difference. Fibre or xDSL is usually how you get the internet your house… within your house it’s usually either Wi-fi or Ethernet.

And this new router does your Wi-fi?
It points to a compatibility problem with it…
Your router / Wi-fi access point will typically search for its best channel… channels are very dynamic so really best in a consumer environment with several neighbour access points not locking channels, let them auto select which is normal behaviour…

If you are plagued with Wi-fi performance, you can try a separate wifi solution such as a home mesh solution and connect this via Ethernet to your router switch ports.
The secret of good Wi-fi in dense Wi-fi space is to use several low power nodes/points each cooperating and each finding the space (channels) to operate in.
There are several home mesh or ESSID solutions on the market.
I use Ubuiquiti.

And everything was using dhcp ok?

I phoned to my provider today. He could himself change the channel of my home WiFi.
So I don’t need to do it myself .
It seems to work good now.

I don’t know what is Dhcp. But if you mean wired Ethernet, tv…all was ok. Only WiFi and specially Naim app.
I was on auto channel and the provider settled fix channel .

Using a fixed channel may be OK now, but if your neighbours WiFi start using that channel too, it may become too busy. Allowing your router to automatically choose a better channel is intended to address this without you needing to even be aware that it is happening. At least, that is my understanding of how it should work

1 Like

DHCP is what devices use to register on your network. The alternative is to manually enter the information like router address, IP address and subnet mask… this is where issues can arise if two devices have been manually set to use the same IP addresses and there is a clash. DHCP takes care of this…
DHCP is the default on most client devices as it is plug and play by design

As Chris said above- changing the channel to a fixed channel may only work temporarily until the channels clash again - best NEVER to manually assign a wifi channel unless you know exactly what you are doing and understand the impact of doing this and there is a good reason to. If it works now good - but do expect a repeat at some point - this is really a kludge. It might be the positioning of your wifi access point is not optimum. Again best have high and in the clear - that way it works well and can best receive neighbouring usage and negotiate best with your neighbours or interference sources.

Simon, until I installed a new generation router from the same Ethernet / tv/ phone provider, the app was not freezing or disconnecting.
The tv / phone is working fine. But the only problem I have again, is the app is disconnecting and I have a message « someone is connected, click ok or try again « . I click ok, it finds my server again, then library.

ok - so as to try and isolate this compatibility issue with your new wifi / router - try going into the Naim App - under Settings -> Other Settings -> Stay Connected and enabling it.