Wish list for new naim products in 2022 and beyond

Windows still has many problems UI wise, but admittedly all GUIs have some. But it’s not a good example for usability winning or being required for success, if we compare Win 3.1 and the Macs or Amigas of the time

And yet it was the one that people of a non technical nature took to. I was an IT project manager responsible for putting new pc’s on peoples desks. My techies would assume that because users already new how to print something, they would know how to print something with a new pc. How wrong they were :slight_smile: I always arranged user training courses and no user was allowed a new model pc until they had the training. Never under estimate that users aren’t techies, or in our case aren’t hifi hobbyists.

But not because it was more usable, but because of price, a killer application for the office, and perception. Plus a healthy measure of historical accidents. And later because of ruthless lock-in

2 Likes

Possibly, but its here now. :slight_smile:
Anyway I’ve diverted the thread enough, back to the wish list.

I have not been denying its success, just saying it’s a poor example for “without superior/equivalent usability you can’t win”

1 Like

Klout10,

As I remember correctly you’ve changed to this setup from a 272/250sr setup. I do have a 272/250 (non dr) setup into PMC 25.23’s and am looking for simplifying things and be a little more future proof I guess.

How does the sound compare between the setups?

I dis loan a AVM cs 2.3 for a short while but it did leave me cold somewhat. It sounds superb, but in a way a little bit to correct I guess.

I’m not at the unit but IIRC you delete them from the Presets page (as one would expect, I think)

As for an app manual, I don’t think there is one? Maybe there should be, considering how many questions there are about the app.

Hello @Rene … yes, I’ve changed for various reasons from 272/250DR to an Uniti Nova. I must admit that it is not such a big step back as expected. The sound signature hasn’t changed … yes, I believe the 250DR has more control in the lower regions, but this only comes into play when listening at louder levels …

Much has been said about reducing box count … overall, I’m very satisfied as are my family members :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply @Suedkiez. I deleted my post before your reply came up. Actually, I found out how to do it in the online user guide. However, I can’t really see any benefit because I only use the favourites in Qobuz as a holding place until I listen to it. If I like it and think I’ll play it frequently I’d then buy it on CD or vinyl.

I’ve never even tried to save playlists, principally because of volume variations between different albums, but also because I still tend to play whole albums.

Yes, the important benefit of the presets is direct access via remote / the display on the unit.

That doesn’t confer any benefit as I cannot see the screen from where I sit and, besides, I can access anything from my iPad or iPhone. I do wish there were a firmware switch enabling the user to turn off the screen permanently.

Well, bruss asked if there is a way to start playing music with a single button press. The presets are the way. I didn’t say that it’s beneficial for everyone.

As for always turning off the screen, or at least nearly always:

• Set display off during playback (which I think you already do)
  • Set a short standby time, so that it turns off the display soon after an album finishes, when it’s on the home screen. (Minimum standby time is 5 minutes)
  • If you want the unit always warmed up despite standby, enable server mode

This should turn off the display most of the time except for the 5 minutes after an album finishes until it goes to standby, plus I guess except for the time it takes from walking up the streamer until pressing play

There are so many ways to set it up. I have Auto Standby Time set to Never, because I leave it permanently powered on. With this setting, the unit usually returns immediately to a blank screen once an album finishes.

I have used the Standby button on the remote on the (usually) rare occasions when the wretched home screen appears and won’t disappear.

It would be so good if there were another option, besides the Display Off During Playback option, to turn it off permanently. I cannot see why this isn’t made available. I think Will is aware of my preference in this respect.

Server mode achieves the same thing while allowing you to turn off the display with standby

Yes it could be more straightforward, but I don’t think you can get closer than the combination of settings that I gave you. It’s up to you

I’ll try that. Thanks.

1 Like

I got this recommendation from Steve Harris by the way, because I was looking for a similar thing. He explained the states in this post and further clarified a few posts down:

Melco do this with dedicated isolated Ethernet output for streamer. They also do a dedicated router switch’s S10 and S100( bit pricy though). Being part of Buffalo the Japanese IT giant also helps!

272 replacement or nothing for me !

Looks like nothing for you then. :grin:

3 Likes

Surprise Surprise, keep the money in the bank :joy:

1 Like