Wish list for new naim products in 2022 and beyond

The question for me would be whether it would actually ‘improve’ the sources or simply reveal their weaknesses more. Maybe one source is by far the most important, in which case it could make even more sense to sort that out first. Put it this way, a Rega 8 with Nait XS2 is going to sound a lot better than a Rega 3 with Supernait 3.

4 Likes

Hi Gazza

A friend of mine just bought a new Accuphase class A integrated amp (E-650) with the additional slot-in dac, and ProAc floorstanders (K3).

Very nice system, but to my ears, in his room and system, this amp did not sound like a Naim amp at all (e.g. it sounder warmer and softer to me).

Jim

1 Like

I sometimes wish that Naim could devise a product that would keep forum members on topic when they post. Of course, if they did, I wouldn’t be posting this.

4 Likes

Some diversions are a real PITA. Thankfully many are interesting. As with hifi and music, it is the quality of diversion that matters. :wink:

A quality diversion can breathe new life into a tired thread.

2 Likes

I want a higher level integrated.

Would also like to see improved volume controls on the classic amps and lower input sensitivity to allow a wider operating range.

Reduce box count and simplify the needs for external power supply. Less boxes please!

5 Likes

I actually had a good listen on Wednesday to an Accuphase 850 i think via an Accuphase cd player with the Russell K 150 speakers. In the past i have always found these speakers very forward and relentless with Naim amps, perhaps the Accuphase tames them down some what………dealer uses them as a good integrated system?

2 Likes

Don’t do it, Gaz….you are too young to downsize!

1 Like

A unified series of powersupplies that works with all naim sources, amplifiers, phonostages, etc. :blush:

No i was returning a Melco D100 cd burner, so had a good listen.

1 Like

Some people waiting for the 272

19 Likes

Agreed, and I understand that a HiCap DR would be of benefit to a new version, but how would Naim engineer it to improve the Supernait?

Some of us focus on the phono stage, others stream and others use a CD.

In our dream Supernait 4 how would the preamp section be improved?

And the verdict is ?

Of course, they prefer to remain anonymous.

1 Like

Look at what Curus are doing with their new range of psus.

1 Like

I was searching for Optical drive info and googled Auralic recommendations for Optical drives. An Auralic review in hifi pig said that they recommended the Melco D100, a Pioneer drive or an Asus drive, the latter two are about £170, but did not seem to be available at the moment. They also made an interesting comment that a low noise power supply was more important than the Optical drive!

So i was just leaving Signals with my wife friday before Xmas after collecting myN10 head unit which needed fettling, when they thrust the D100 in my hands. No chance over Xmas, but New Year i powered it up with my Plixir power supply and did quite a few rips of different genre’s. It is a very slow ripper taking up to 15 minutes on a long cd………boring over a period of time, the eject button is annoyingly under the tray………though Andy later showed me using the bottom right N10 button works eject/close.

It unfortunately is noticeably better than my old Core rips, there is a lower noise floor and gives a better air around instruments, just nicer to listen to. I am even wondering if a direct cd download brings with it some digital noise, though have not done the comparison. In short when i have mastered this Melco in a few weeks i will order one………this was not my original plan of course, which was direct downloads. If you are thinking about one google Auralic optical drive recommendations in hifi pig…….the Asus/Pioneer might be available in France.

It would have been much nicer if @Darkebear or @MichaelF were wrong about the D100😥

1 Like

Damn, as if my audio nervosa isn’t bad enough!

I know……

There will always be something better. Accepting that simple fact leads to greater contentment with what one has already, which is in most cases far above what one needs to enjoy music. I’m sure 90% of these improvements are assimilated into normality after a couple of days, then it’s on to the next thing. Dealers act both in the interests of customers and their own income. ‘Thrust it into my hand’ indeed. Kerching!!

5 Likes

I am pleased that the D100 has proved beneficial for you and it does work seamlessly when connected to other Melco products. I have not tried it as I do not have a stand alone DAC but the D100 also serves as a transport should friends visit with CDs they wish to hear.

My words were said with my tongue firmly in my cheek.

15mins x 600+ CDs = way too long!