Wish list for new naim products in 2022 and beyond

It took me about 3 months to work through my CD collection which is considerably more than 600! A few each session and you get there eventually!

And @Dunc too. Maybe Steve also.
I have not so many cds to rip again, maybe 300 I kept. So don’t think I am ready to invest 1,5 k ( with ps) to rip them. But I believe in it.

Good eyes! I realise now their faces are hidden.

Yep - ‘impossible’…etc …but that is what it does and why I purchased mine after what I hoped would be a dismissive demo to prove it was ‘snake oil’ - in which case that oil sure is good! :bear:

An imperfect world - ENJOY! :wink:
…and suffer it that you found an unexpected way to better SQ.

DB.

1 Like

Wait until the bank people figure out that the way they are copying data affects the numbers, then you will see what nervous looks like

Having first ripped all my cd’s using a buffalo drive, I was also horrified to find out that the D100 was simply better, it’s obviously not massive but it’s there all the same.
The next problem was realised that the D100 is much slower doing the rips compared to the buffalo and just the thought of doing all mine again was mind destroying, so I ripped about 70% again with the D100 and left the cd’s that I don’t listen to.
I was lucky to borrow it, but have often thought about buying one as since then I have a few more cd’s, but have also found that downloading directly to the melco N10 from qobuz, brings good results, haven’t directly compared it to a cd, but being in high resolution it wouldn’t be the same anyway

2 Likes

I like the idea of a “555” Headline - perhaps with Burndy connection to 555PS.
Slight overkill but it did say “Wishlist” :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @gthack, what you suggest is my thought: improving the amplification should improve the sound from whatever source it comes from.
On the other hand, even @anon4489532 is right when he says that it is better that the whole system is balanced, and that therefore the sources should be improved first.
The problem is that two of these (Rega 3 + Exact and Bluesound Node) are two recent gifts from my wife, and replacing them after a short time would be in bad taste …
I’m afraid that in the end I will remain as I actually am are for a while: last night I was listening to Radio Paradise in MQA mode and the quality for my taste (everything in life is relative) was absolutely pleasing in bass tone, and brilliant in presence and depth of sound.
Thanks everybody.
Maurizio

2 Likes

As a fellow XS owner, it’s a lovely place to be :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree, the XS2 is a lovely amplifier. Clearly @Maupas54 can’t sell such kind gifts, so it’s a great excuse to change nothing and simply enjoy the music, which is what a stereo system is for anyway.

4 Likes

You could get a great source upgrade by buying a separate DAC and keeping the Node as a digital transport via SPDIF connection. A used NDAC would be a good visual match with your amp and it sounds great, but there is lots of choice out there.

1 Like

I’d love a NAIM adjustable analogue active crossover for subwoofer(s):
NAC (272?) DIN into Sub XO then DIN/XLR into NAP + RCA into sub(s).

1 Like

I share your suggestion, but it’s an upgrade I’d like to do later: my previous (and first) DAC was a ProJect DAC Box E, and replacing it with the third generation Node (which now has a Quad-Core 1.8 Ghz processor and a Dual 32-bit / 384 kHz DAC) the improvement was noticeable.
Now I would like to “get used” to the current configuration (I own the Node since the last December), and when I’ll get hungry again then I’ll switch to an external DAC, as you suggest.
Cheers

Hate to be a pedant - but 7 boxes to include the (pretty much a no brainer) second power supply. Oh - and one of the boxes is double height.

I’m actually aiming for this exact system myself (but with ND555 Rather than the NDS that’s shown here - only two more 500’s to go to activate the Kudos 808’s

I mean, what’s another 4 and a half boxes?!?

I think whoever owns that system could do a slightly better job with the Fraim setup - the mixed heights bother me! …In my minds eye, I have the three 500 boxes on the bases, and then go up evenly from there. Not true to Brain and Brawn I know - but I’ve never been that hung up about that.

1 Like

272 upgrade with Qobuz access!!

3 Likes

Not going to happen for reasons explained a thousand times, and not very difficult to solve by other means. And the 272 is not a new product :slight_smile:

Remember this is a wish list. I want a 400 level one box integrated with built in streamer that has matching WIRELESS speakers. Total system $30,000 to $40,000. No cables outside of the power cord. I know, can’t be done but that’s my Naim wish.

I’d like a refresh of the 500 products to pick up the design language of the Statement and Solstice, and to build on the work done to develop those products by using Switched Mode Power Supplies.

I suspect the sequence won’t be that though - “son of 272” - with the new design and SMPS is what I actually expect in the short term.

1 Like

I doubt Naim will be fully abandoning linear supplies for a while yet. I’d expect new products will use the hybrid SMPS/Linear solution (for standby / operation respectively) that has been used in various products that have come out in the last few years to comply with power usage regs.
I suspect that’s why there seems no rush to change the present power amp and PSU product range.

2 Likes