Xps dr

Ah, sounds about right then.

Enjoy!

Best regards, BF

1 Like

It goes at the source (of the music) end, in this case the NDX.

1 Like

Glad you like it Stephen, its a big step or boom as you say. When you look inside an ndx2 and see some nice electronics and a transformer that many power amps would die for…it is difficult to comprehend how another supply could make that much difference, but it does.
Take dome time to enjoy, take an upgrade holiday😁

3 Likes

Thanks Gazza! Unbelievable how much difference it makes! All the littles nuances and micro-dynamics, the way the music stops and starts, the ebb & flow, the wider sound stage, everything is so much more effortless and punchy! :rofl:

3 Likes

I would say it is time to upgrade the speakers now, before a new rack even. I home demoed (for a week),the Neat SX1’s, which I really liked, but I know a member here using your exact same electronics with Kudos Titan 707’s. Jnelson is the member, maybe he will see this and chime in. Just search his name up top, you will find some of his posts.

1 Like

I heard it first down at HQ with Nigel and other forum members, we listened to many variations of all the new streamers, but the addition of the XPSdr to the NDX2 stood out for me, despite the speakers they chose to use. You will have a great time, play the new Yello album…Point, it will give it a work out😉
Oh thanks for making the poll right in the end…it was how i voted😉

4 Likes

Did you even have your NDX2 long enough for it to be run in Stephen? If the XPS is a couple of years old I would imagine it’s giving what it’s got. :joy:

1 Like

It’s turned it into a completely different beast altogether. I can’t imagine a well run in bare player getting anywhere near this. The change is colossal. This has got to be the best upgrade i’ve done yet. More so than going from NAIT XS 2 to SN3 or from ND5 XS 2 to NDX 2. I reckon you need to revisit the XPS DR popeye! :rofl:

4 Likes

When the times right I shall. Maybe I am just not as enthusiastic and my interpretation of a massive upgrade is rather different to some. :man_shrugging:

When i first fired up the system i was a little confused. It just didn’t sound spectacular but then i remembered reading on here about de-stressing the Burndy cable. I then turned everything off, waited five minutes and then took out the Burndy cable. Got the cable de-stressed with the connectors in their right positions before offering the cable back to their connecting sockets. This time the whole cable felt so much easier to plug in, as if it was nice and relaxed. The connectors too were also easier to turn without too much force being applied. Switched the system back on in the right sequence. Pressed play and instantly i could hear a marked improvement. Like a WoW moment! :laughing:

2 Likes

Time for a system vid’s then Steve!

Great impressions, super interesting. Now, could you please also buy the Fraim and report these results as well? Appreciated, thank you :grinning:

I agree. I think my speakers may have hit their stops. Listening through my headphones now certainly cements that assertion. My listening environment is fairly small, so i would not want big speakers at all. Rather something compact but yet more revealing. Maybe Titan 505s will be more suitable than the 707s?

1 Like

Destress the cable? How do u do it? Simply by shaking it and wiggling it?

No. I did mine by holding the connector in each hand relative to their correct position as if they were plugged into the units. Then slowly swinging the cable backwards and forwards and from side to side, until the connectors move round to their correct positions, without any tension being felt relative to the cable. That way you can plug it in without the cable wanting to twist on itself, or without any tension being felt through each hand and each connector.

2 Likes

Yes, those were the speakers I wanted to try at one time, but they are hard to find a pair to demo where I live. I would have to travel to the states to hear a pair, and that is not even an option with COVID.

Indeed Stephen,
Why not pause for breath and simply enjoy the newly discovered greatness of your system with its wonderfully capable streamer and very capable amp.

Kudos 707 are really not the best match for a SN3. They need an even more capable amp for music to sound right. The Kudos 505 are frankly brilliant standmounts, when driven by an appropriately capable amplifier - think 282/HicapDR/250DR or more.

A SN3 could well be a match made in heaven with something like a Proac D20R or the D2R standmount. There are Kudos and Neat equivalents, though I find the Kudos ones to be a bit “brightly lit”. Speakers of this calibre would also be more than capable of revealing the excellence of your new streamer and also will be great with anything from a SN3 to a 282/SC/250DR.

However, why not simply pause and enjoy what you have just bought? If spending on anything, buy more music.

Best regards, BF

7 Likes

Absolutely. I certainly feel like i need to take breath for a minute. This last six months have been a bit of a spin with all my recent upgrades. Anyway, i’m really pleased with my new system. It’s all i will ever need. Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Stephen congratulations and your description fits my experience when I added the XPS DR to the NDX 2. I would recommend you sit back and relax and enjoy for a few months before making any changes and enjoy the music for awhile.

I will also put in a plug for ProAc speakers. I have had the ProAc D2 speakers in the past and currently have the ProAc D30RS speakers with my SN 2 and they are simply wonderful!

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words seakayaker. Yes, time to sit back and enjoy the music/system. I need a break from all this upgrading malarkey. It can be exhausting but enjoyable at the same time. Anyway i’m very pleased with XPS DR, it certainly takes the NDX 2 to another level. Staggeringly so. I shall look at some speakers maybe sometime next year i think. ProAcs will most certainly be on my list. Thanks all! :+1:

Back to the music :grin:

2 Likes