Xps dr

Happy it lived up to your hopes.

Enjoy.

G

3 Likes

I agree! I’m a fan clearly.

3 Likes

Thanks GraemeH. Indeed, this is all your fault! :rofl: :+1:

We can all blame one another! Let’s share the guilt around.

Best

G

3 Likes

I’ll keep the poll running for a little bit longer, just in case…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

I suggested Fraimlite, so maybe I am guilty :grin:
However, as I have not a full Naim system, the Fraim is not an absolute necessity for me.
I use isolation devices with my Fraimlite and I am satisfied with it.
But perhaps with a full Naim system, a Fraim is more indicated.
Doubt however it would make so great uplift as the xps dr.

2 Likes

There is no doubt in my mind that a Fraim with a bare NDX 2 would not of given such a huge uplift in performance as the XPS DR has brought. No doubt at all. The XPS DR is magnificent! :+1:

5 Likes

I’m delighted for you Stephen, excellent result.

1 Like

Thank you Mike_S. You said it would be worth it. You were of course correct. Oh and it’s definitely staying put, even with a pair of flip flops on. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Stephen, there has been mention of having to upgrade your speakers now.
I have a vaguely similar set up to you and recently upgraded my neat motiv sx1.

You may get more clarity and separation etc with much more expensive speakers and a better sound but there’s something about neat that just lets the music flow in a really engaging way that you can listen to for hours without fatigue.

By all means upgrade but you are at a great place to enjoy the music now👍

I had the same wow moment when I added my psu to my NDX2 - enjoy :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks mickdale. I agree, my Neat Motives will be hard be very hard to beat, from a entertainment point of view. I was discussing this today with my dealer. I can listen to them for hours on end with every genre of music i care to throw at them, never ever get bored. They always find a way to charm the listener. I could never go back to bright and analytical speakers. It’s going to be tricky for sure to find speakers that charm anywhere near as much as the baby Neat’s. Thanks for the reality check! :+1:

Stephen,
Then keep them because they hit the bullseye for you.

You can still take your electronics a lot further with them.

2 Likes

I must admit here, every upgrade i’ve done so far, starting with my 5Si combo, right the way through to now, they have stepped up to the mark and let every upgrade shine through. Even the EE 8Switch has had it’s spot light moment. Same as all the Ethernet cables i have tried out. I was looking at some alternative speakers today but i think many, if not all, are just too big and OTT. I think if i were to change again then i would almost certainly be looking at some stand-mounts instead. Many thanks.

I don’t really get what all the moaning is about in that thread. I can’t hear or see anything different apart from a Playlists feature which i will never use.

As an experiment last night, I went back to my bare NDX2. It lasted two songs. I couldn’t take it! It sounded so empty. So back went the Xps dr. It’s not that it sounded bad, but once you experience the dr, you can’t go back! :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol! Sounds like i’m at a good place then. I did the same with the HiCapDR taken off my SN3. I didn’t even get to the end of one track. It was almost an instant scrambling for the SNAIC cables and getting the damn thing plugged back in again ASAP! Not that a bare SN3 is in anyway lacking but once you get used to something? :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh i see. I can’t say that i’ve noticed that much difference this time around. I’m certainly not suffering with any ‘over bright’ issues at the moment. Mind you, i’ve made so many changes the last few weeks that it may prove difficult to know for sure where in fact a change has actually happened or come from. Perhaps those running with a EE 8Switch are not phased by such Firmware issues. :sweat_smile:

Just out of interest PatM what speakers are you using?

I listen through headphones quite a lot and can’t say that i’ve detected anything there regarding a change in sound quality from the recent firmware update. Not saying there hasn’t been, but just giving you my experiences so far.

This morning the music is sounding so beautifully delicate and yet powerful at the same time, as if the music is being carved or sculptured out of thin air and laid bare in all it’s natural beauty. Time itself feels like it has slowed down, where the decay of each note appears to take longer to dissipate. Fabulous stuff! :joy:

2 Likes

So, I guess with respect to “distressing “ the burndy, it’s all about making sure the connections are in a neutral/ non stressed position. I.e. the cable is not in tension?

Also I take it that if the burndy crosses another cable, do it at 90 degrees?

The direction of the cable is interesting to. You’d not think that should make a difference. Maybe it does.

And does your XPS make a real ping when turned on?